Chapter 28

After talking to Lacey for some time about the whole dilemma last night, everything turned back to normal. I just have to remind Keith that next time we go out drinking he needs to bring me to his place, not mine. I do not need a repeat of last night. Last night does not need to happen again, that was a bad mistake and a mistake I am not making twice. 

“So how are you and Lacey?” Shay asks as I walk up to Keith, Ryan, and Emilee. Lacey had stayed at home today with Lily because Lily isn’t feeling good. Lacey told me she wouldn’t feel comfortable yet leaving just Lily with my mom so my mom agreed to let Lacey stay home today. I wasn’t comfortable leaving Lacey home alone with my mom and Lily, but that’s what Lacey was comfortable with so I had to deal with it.

“We’re good, everything’s good. You and Keith?” I ask Shay. Shay nods. “We’re good, had a little bump in the road but we’re back to the normal us.” Shay explains.

“That’s good, give me the word and I’ll kick his ass.” I say with a smirk and Shay laughs. 

“Okay, sounds good to me.” 

The bell rings for first period and everyone starts to leave the yard and head into the building, including me. After skipping school for a couple days it actually feels good to be back at school. 

I get home and slam the front door shut, letting everyone know that Emilee and I were now home. Emilee stomps up the stairs and I hear her bedroom door slam shut, I roll my eyes. Ryan and Emilee were fighting in the car on our way home, yelling at each other about how Ryan never takes her out on dates. It was stupid if you ask me.

I turn to face Ryan who was standing beside me, staring where Emilee once stood. "Talk to her and take her out on a date tonight." I mumble then shuffle up the stairs to find Lacey and Lily in the kitchen. I smile when Lacey sets her eyes on me, "How you feeling?" I ask Lily when I take the seat next to her.

Lily shrugs. "Lacey's making me some soup." I chuckle at Lily who looks like she's ready to pass out.

"Seth?" Lacey wonders and I look over at her, waiting for her to continue. "I was thinking about visiting my dad tomorrow." I nod. "Yeah, I'll call tonight to set an appointment. You have therapy though, so how about I make the appointment to see your dad after therapy?" I request. Lacey's small smile suddenly vanishes and her face pales. I stand up and walk over to Lacey, embracing her in my open arms.

I knew she didn't therapy, why is the million dollar question. Therapy is supposed to be helping her, right? So why was she so reluctant to go? Even just the word therapy brings her down and she shuts everyone out, going into her own little place.

"Lacey." I whisper when I press my forehead against her warm neck. "I'm always up for me going in with you, if you want that."

Lacey leans her cheek against my cheek and wraps her arms around my torso. "I don't want to go Seth." She begs. "Please don't make me go."

I wanted to tell Lacey that everything was going to be okay and that she's going to get better with the help she needs but I couldn't. I couldn't say anything, I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything. There was nothing I could do no matter how many times I tried to reassure Lacey, she wouldn't listen. There was no point, she didn't want to go and that was it but she is still going to go, she needs support. More support then she already has.