Chapter 15

“What the hell is going on?” I hiss when my fists start shaking. Luke snaps his head to me and I grit my teeth. 

Lacey looks over her shoulder and her face is pale, her eyes are brimming with tears and she’s breathing hard. Luke has his arm tightly wrapped around her wrist and he’s barely even 2 centimeters away from her. He’s ducked down near her face with a stern look on his face, his jaw tightens and everything screams trouble. 

“Get away,” I threaten. Luke only takes it as a challenge as he smirks. 

“And what are you going to do about it?” I slowly walk up to him and laugh but then I throw my fist back and punch him in his jaw, grabbing Lacey away from him. I make sure Lacey is in back of me, as I’m protecting her when Luke goes to throw his fist at me but I catch his fist and punch him again, his face throwing back. 

“Hey! Hey!” I hear Keith yelling and then he pushes Luke back as a random guy pushes on my chest. I look at Keith and he nods as his head as signaling to me to leave, I nod back, and take Lacey with me. I wrap her in my arms as I exit the fair, throwing people in my way out of my way. Once I reach my car, I grab my phone out of my pocket, and send Emilee a quick message telling her to go home with Sam or someone. I then lift Lacey into my truck and hop into the drivers seat, I sigh and throw my head back on the car seat headrest, rubbing my hands over my face. 

“Are you okay? Did he hurt you?” I ask Lacey when I turn to her, she just shakes in her seat. 

“Hey, hey, you’re okay. You’re safe with me, okay? You’re safe.” I kiss her temple and lean against the armrest, cupping her face in my hand. 

Lacey lets out a tear and I see fear in her eyes, it immediately worries me because I have no idea who the hell this guy is, what he did to her, and what he’s done to her. I don’t know any of their past but all I know is he put his hands on her and she didn’t like it. I hate seeing her like this, so broken and torn up. All I want to do is wrap her up and make her feel safe. 

“You don’t have to be home until an hour, so how about I take you somewhere?” I whisper and Lacey nods. I smile and turn in my seat, grabbing my keys, and starting the engine. I pull out of the parking lot and speed home, the car ride quiet and painful. 

“I don’t have to be home until an hour,” Lacey mumbles when I pull into my driveway. I chuckle and tell her to wait here while I sneakily walked into my house, grabbed my blanket off my bed, and two pillows. I then quietly walked back out and opened the bed of my truck. I throw the pillows and blanket and then walk to the passenger side, opening the door. 

“M’lady,” I say in a British accent, Lacey shyly smiles. She grabs my hand that’s out and I shut my truck door and lead her out to my bed truck. I boost her up and I climb onto it too. I then lay out the blanket and pillows and lay down, patting the spot for her. She lifts an eyebrow, hesitates but she eventually lies down next to me. “North star,” I announce when I point to the sky. 

Lacey lets out a laugh and then points to the sky as well. “Ara,” she says and I raise an eyebrow. 

“Well then smarty pants,” I tease and Lacey chuckles. 

“Wake me up in an hour?” I nod and wrap my arms around Lacey’s waist, letting her snuggle into my chest while my eyes start to droop. 

*

A sudden bright light makes me open my eyes and I wince at the direct sunlight. I squint my eyes as I sit up, glancing down at Lacey and my eyes go wide. It’s daytime; we slept out here all night. I start to shake Lacey’s sleeping body and she jerks awake, eyes open with fear. 

“Lacey, it’s morning,” I whisper when I start throwing the warm blankets off our bodies. 

“Oh shit.” She mumbles and I stop in my tracks, looking at her. 

“Did you just swear?” I ask with amusement and she rolls her eyes, running her hands through her hair. 

“Seth this isn’t funny, I have to be home!” She exclaims and I nod and then she goes running off into the house, sending me a wave before entering her house. I sit back down and throw my hands down on my truck bed. 

Goddamn it, Seth, you just have to ruin everything, don’t you? 

I grab the two pillows and blanket and storm into my house, my Mom lifting an eyebrow at me when I enter the kitchen. 

“How was your sleepover?” She questions with a smirk. 

Honestly, I enjoyed it, but I know that was going way too fast for Lacey. I mean we spent the night together, together. We barely even know each other and I know it was just way to fast and I hate it because I know I screwed it all up. She barely even said 10 words to me this morning before she went running off. I understand she was supposed to be home like 12 hours ago but still a goodbye or something would’ve helped. In other words, I feel rejected, and it sucks. As a male, it’s my job to not let my emotions show and right now I’m trying not to let them show. I felt rejected and I wanted to punch anything in sight and then scream in pain. 

Mostly not because I screwed it up but because of the pain in her eyes. 

And I knew I was behind some of that pain.