Car Wreck-Louis (Childhood Sweethearts)

This is a request by Larriecrew .  This one's different where Harry and Louis are four and six years old in the beginning. I had fun writing this one.

Words: 4,328

Louis ran as fast as he could, chasing Harry's dog in the backyard. "Get him, Hazza! Get him!" Louis ran hard, his heart pumping wildly in his chest. The best thing about playing over at his best friend's house was for his little puppy. Max loved to be chased, especially by these two.

Harry got him on his fourth birthday, which he just had a week ago. Louis had his sixth birthday just a couple weeks before Harry and he asked for a dog, but his parents weren't cool enough. They said 'no' after months of pleading. At least his mum was okay with Louis playing with Harry's dog. It kind of made up for it a bit. Sort of.

Harry caught up to Max and reached for the chew toy in his mouth, but the puppy turned his head and jerked it out of Harry's small hands. Harry just giggled and kept running. Louis followed right behind them, running to the porch. He somehow tripped and fell (over his own feet most likely), his knees pounding into the concrete. Blood already began seeping through the cut skin.

His knees stung. "Ow!" he yelled. He wanted to cry, and he almost did, but then he realized he was a big boy and was now six years old. He had to hold back the tears.

Hearing Louis's cry, Harry stopped dead in his tracks and turned to see what the matter was. "Louis, what happened?" He noticed the boy was squatting on the porch, looking down at his knee.

"I fell," Louis said, and Harry came running, his curls bouncing with each step.

"Oh, you're bleeding," Harry said. "I should get me mummy. Then you'll be as good as new. Promise." Harry turned to the door and opened it, shouting for his mother. She immediately ran out of the house to see what was wrong. Once she saw the scrapes covering Louis's knees, she took him inside and cleaned him up, giving him two Batman bandages. Afterwards, the two best friends went back to playing outside.

*

Through the years, they had a few classes together at school, still the closest of friends they could be. Middle school hadn't changed that. They hung out together often and still liked playing with Harry's dog. After a friendly game of frisbee with Max, Harry suggested that they go inside and watch a movie on the couch.

Harry's mum was making dinner, and it filled the house with the smells of garlic, onions, and spices. The two boys enjoyed the movie as they snacked on a bag of pretzels. They sat close on the couch, but there was still a foot gap between their bodies. Louis knew it wasn't right to think this, but he wanted to close that gap, slide his body closer to Harry's. He wanted to drape his arm subtlety over Harry's neck and onto his shoulders, but that would be wrong. They were boys, and boys didn't do that kind of thing. Besides that, what would Harry's reaction be if he did?

He closed his mind off to the idea and just settled on the fact that the two of them were together right now as friends. That was good enough, wasn't it?

Harry laughed and then smiled in Louis's direction at the funny part in the movie, and Louis smiled back with a forced chuckle. Harry didn't think of him in the same way as Louis was starting to think of Harry. No, Louis was sure of it.

*

Three weeks later was their middle school's Winter Ball. Everyone was expected to come with a date, and if you didn't, you were considered lame. They had just a week left before the dance, and Harry asked Louis if he had a date yet.