Exhausted-Louis

A request from alibrooke28 .  Enjoy

Words: 2,310

Louis jerked himself awake for the millionth time. His eyes were tired and he found it hard to fight the fatigue. He tried to read his textbook, but his eyes just couldn't focus.

Niall, his good friend, was studying in the carrel next to him in the uni library. "Tired already? It's only 5:00."

Five o'clock? Five 'clock. There was something about that time but he couldn't place it. He looked at his watch and the thought hit him like a ton of bricks. Louis cursed under his breath. "I completely forgot I was supposed to take Fizzy to dance class!" He gathered up his things from the desk, shutting his textbook in a hurry.

Papers went everywhere on the floor, and Niall bent over to retrieve them for him. Niall was worried for his friend. He had never seen Louis this stressed out before. For the past month, Louis couldn't seem to stay awake. His eyes always looked tired, and he seemed to have a hard time concentrating. When Niall talked to him, it seemed like his thoughts were somewhere else.

"Louis, slow down. You don't wanna get in a wreck." Niall handed him the papers and Louis stuffed them in his backpack.

"I won't, but if I don't hurry, she's gonna be way late. See ya tomorrow." Louis walked swiftly out of the library and into the parking lot. Louis's mother told him to pick her up for class because she had to work late, and there was no one else around to do it. Always wanting to please his mother, he agreed. It was just too bad that he had school and work and classes to deal with as well. He was up to his eyeballs in stress.

He got in the car, putting the keys in the ignition. He put his right hand in front of his face and held it still, wondering why it was shaking so badly. Just another symptom of his stressful life, he thought. He ignored it and drove carefully home and picked up his sister. He dropped her off to dance class and told her their mother would be picking her up when it was over.

On his way home to his apartment, his phone rang. It was his boyfriend, Harry. Wasn't he at work? He could remember anymore. Harry's schedule was always changing and he could never keep it straight. "Hey, babe," Louis said as he answered it.

"Hey, hun. I'm sorry but I can't go out with you tonight. I've gotta work longer. I'm really sorry," Harry said.

Did he have a date with Harry tonight? What was wrong with him? Why couldn't he remember things? "Oh, um, it's okay, Haz. I've got a lot of studying to do anyway."

"Are you sure? It's been so long since I've seen you." Harry and Louis hadn't hung out or had a date in three weeks. Harry's job as an ER doctor hadn't allowed them much time to be together, nor did Louis's studies.

Louis cleared his throat. "Yeah, don't worry about it." He rubbed the skin between his eyes. "We'll make up for it later. Don't work too hard."

Harry laughed. "You, too. Love you!"

Louis stayed up until midnight to study for his test in a couple days. When he finally went to bed, his mind wouldn't stop working. He couldn't sleep at all, but this was nothing new. It had been like this for weeks. He hadn't slept for more than five hours in a night in so long.

The next day, he went to work as a bagger in a grocery store. The heat was killing him. Having to take people's carts of food and unload them into their cars was exhausting and made him sweaty. He could usually handle the summer heat, but for some reason, the heat was intolerable. He felt like passing out on more than one occasion.