Chapter 35

Jedediah wipes the sweat from his forehead and sighs. The past two weeks leading up to this day have been hectic to say the least. He and Cole have hardly seen Aubrey as she has been here there and somewhere else setting something up or putting last minute details in place. In his mind there are only two good things that have come out of the past two weeks. One, he has gotten to spend lots of time with Cole and bond with him. Two, the day he has been waiting for for a very long time is finally here.

He looks up when Traven sits down beside him and claps his shoulder. "You ready for this?"

"I am, I don't think my nerves are," he says with a grin.

Traven laughs. "Well Stacy was looking for you. Something about the first look, whatever that is."

Jedediah immediately perks up at those words. "Where is she?"

"Well that's a change in attitude! She is out in the hall."

Deciding on were the wedding should be held is one decision Aubrey didn't take his 'whatever you want' answer on. They ended up settling on under the big tree in Traven and Raely's back yard. Most everybody thought that they picked that spot because of the shade. However, Jedediah had suggest the place because it was the first time he laid eyes on the beautiful blonde headed woman that he fell in love with in that moment. And now waiting to see her for the first time today he can't wait to see her in that white dress.

"Stacy!"

His spirited sister spins around and smiles. "Great you are here! I need you to go out to the round pen where the photographer is. Do. Not. I mean unless the house starts burning down do not look back this way."

He rolls his eyes but the mile wide smile that graces his face doesn't go anywhere. "Okay, okay! Just go get my bride already."

She laughs and turns the corner. He watches as she disappears behind a door before he jogs over to the round pen to wait. He taps his fingers on the wooden poles that make up the round pen. The few minutes seem like hours in this moment as they did when he proposed. Finally, just as he has decided he isn't in the right place there is a gentle tap on his shoulder.

As he turns around a single tear runs down his cheek. "You- you are so beautiful." Her hair is rolling down her shoulders in loose curls. Her dress has tiny straps leading down to a simple silk bodice attached to a long simple ball room style dress.

She wraps her arms around his neck after wiping his tears away. "You are way too handsome to be crying over me," she whispers as his arms encircle her waist.

He kisses her cheek. "You are so beautiful. You are the most gorgeous woman to ever walk the earth."

That causes her to giggle. "You are the most handsome man ever. I can't wait to say I do." In one swift motion she pulls his lips to hers in a gentle kiss.

"Me either," he whispers snuggling her to him. "I hope I'm not messing up your hair."

She giggles at him. "It's not a big deal if you are."

All too soon their pre-wedding snuggling session is over and Aubrey is being slowly and gently dragged away by the blonde headed maid of honor.

It was a couple of days after ordering the brides maids dress when Aubrey called three of her brides maids together to discuss something that had been heavy on her heart. Well technically two and one on the phone because Stacy couldn't make it, but it was all the same to her. "What's the news you want to run by us?" Jenny presses lightly.

Aubrey takes a deep shaky breath while her gaze settles on one friend after another. "Well I know I haven't asked any of you to be my maid of honor, but I still feel like I would be kicking one of you out of the job." She pauses to choose her next words wisely and carefully and her friends stare at her expectantly. "As all of you know that I have been trying my hand at making mends with my little sister since we picked out my dress."

Everyone nods and Stacy speaks up through the phone sitting in Aubrey's hands. "Yes, she seemed like she really wanted to have a relationship with you the little bit of time I spent around her."

"Indeed," Aubrey agrees, "She has made quite the effort since then. I have thoroughly enjoyed having my little sister back in a way and that led me to thinking about asking her to be in the wedding."

Smiles spread across the faces of the supportive friends around her and serval chime in with comments of support. Jenny is the first to verbally speak the question floating around in all of their minds. "What role are you thinking?"

Aubrey nods. "Right." Yet again she takes a deep breath. "I was thinking the maid of honor."

Instead of the comments she was expecting she is met with shear silence. After a few awkward seconds Stacy clears her throat and begins to speak, "I think that is a great idea! She is your sister and y'all should have to the chance to spend your special day together. Just let us know if there is any way we can help you out with that. Right ladies?"

"Absolutely!" The others chime.

Now Aubrey, Lacey, Cole and Clayton stand waiting for Lacey and Clayton to walk down together before Cole walks Aubrey down the aisle to claim Jedediah as her husband and Cole's dad. Jedediah has been the one to mention Cole walking her down the aisle since her dad has passed away and she isn't close to her brothers. Even though it goes against tradition they immediately fell in love with the idea. Even Cole, who didn't really know what he was doing, is so excited to walk with his Momma.

Finally it is time to open the doors and the music to start playing. Cole holds out his hand to Aubrey and smiles brightly at him. She runs her gaze over her little boy who is dressed in tiny dark Wrangler jeans with a starched white shirt and brown suspenders his outfit is topped off with a black felt hat creased just like Jedediah's. "Ready?" She asks Cole.

"Yeah!" He cheers.

As the doors and the 'here comes the bride' music begins to play Jedediah snaps to attention as his eyes focus on his love package walking down the aisle. Yes he is marrying Aubrey and that delights him to no end, but in a way he's not just marrying Aubrey. Cole is the bundle of joy, laughter and fun that makes this marriage all the better and into a package deal. As he steps down to take Aubrey's hand he knows from the bottom of his heart that he wouldn't have it any other way than it is right now.

While standing hand in hand in front of their dear friend Pastor James Jedediah and Aubrey wear the biggest smiles their poor lips can handle. "We are here to celebrate the joining of these two families in wedlock," Pastor James start. "Jedediah Williams and Aubrey Newben. I think we can all agree that this is a match made in heaven?"

The growing smiles on the couples faces drop when a tall scruffy guy in the back stands up and speaks, "I can't! I object to this marriage." 

Aubrey's blood runs cold and all color drains from her face as she recognizes the face of the none too happy man staring intently at her.