Chapter 27

A sigh escapes Aubrey's lips as she reenters her closet for the fifteen time this afternoon. She pulls out a nice blouse and slips it over her head in effort to please Jenny and Raely. After she had spilt the beans that she has a date today they insisted on helping her pick out what to wear.

"Aubrey! You can't just wear a nice shirt and jeans to a 'special' date!" Jenny declares.

Aubrey laughs and shrugs. "Okay then y'all pick something you think he will like," she says looking to her two best friends, Raely and Jenny.

Raely wiggles her eyebrows and pulls out a light green strapless dress. "He would definitely like this."

Aubrey rolls her eyes. "Um no. I must be married to the man before he gets to see me in that."

"Oh so then you want to marry him," Jenny taunts.

A deep blush creeps up her neck and onto her cheeks. She hesitates to tell her friends how she feels because what if it isn't the right thing to be thinking? However it only takes a second before the words come barreling out of her mouth. "Well yes! Who wouldn't?"

Raely and Jenny both laugh and hold up their left hands. "The married girls," Jenny says then adds, "Or those who are blind."

Aubrey feels as if her cheeks are getting a darker shade of red, if that is possible. "Enough talk of getting married! What am I wearing to the date I have in a couple of hours?"

They nod and turn back to the closet to, once again, debate the pros and cons of each outfit or dress. It takes them a couple tries, but they all finally agree on one stunning dress that, as Raely says, 'should leave a puddle of drool where Jedediah Williams was standing.'

As soon as the entire outfit, complete with jewelry and shoes, is picked out the two leave Aubrey to get ready.
***

Aubrey checks her make up and hair in the mirror one last time as the door bell rings. Knowing it is Jedediah, here to pick her up for their 'very special' date as he called it, she calls for them to come in. Cole is at Raely and Traven's having a play date with Markus and Jakeston and as much as she is going to miss him it is nice to have some time with just the two of them. 

"You ready, sweetheart?" He calls back.

She smiles and steps from the room. "Yes, I think I am ready."

He sucks in a breath as his gaze travels slowly over her. The knee length, light pink dress that she wears makes her eyes pop and her every curve glow. He swallows hard trying to find his voice. "You, uh, you look absolutely stunning."

A deep blush covers her cheeks and she stares at her fingers. "Well thank you." She gives him the once over before adding, "You clean up very nice."

He slips his fingers through hers and kisses her cheek. "Every once and in a while I try to," he says before winking at her.

She giggles suddenly becoming giddy being around him.

"You ready to go?"

She nods and grabs her purse before following him outside while wearing a smile. "Where are we going?"

He chuckles and shakes his head as he opens the passenger side door of his beat up pickup for her. "Not telling you sweetheart."

"Why? I don't like surprises."

Once she is in he closes the door and goes around to get in on his side. "Well we are working on that because I like surprising you."

She shakes her head and settles into the seat. The radio plays softly filling the comfortable silence. Suddenly the peacefulness is interrupted by the ringing of her cell phone. She looks over at Jedediah with a sympathetic look. "It's Raely."

He reaches across and takes her hand in his. "I don't mind sweetheart. See what's going on," he tells her nodding towards her phone laying in her other hand.

Smiling at him she answers it, "Hello?"

Jedediah keeps glancing from the road to Aubrey and back again, trying to figure out what is wrong. He begins to pray as the worry on her face increases. Lord, you know what is going on. I pray that you will give us all peace as we know you so graciously do. Give safety to those on the road and I pray that everything is okay with Cole. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

He looks over at Aubrey just in time to see her end the phone call. "What's wrong?" He says as he begins to apply the breaks and pull off to the side of the road. Thankfully they seem to be the only ones on the road.

"Cole is sick. He has a really high fever," she tells him tears forming in her eyes.

His heart drops, not because he doubts that God will take care of Cole and them too, but because he feels bad for the little boy being sick while his mom isn't there and for Aubrey knowing her pride and joy is not feeling well and not being able to do a thing about it. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," he says meaning it with everything he is.

"I'm sorry I guess this ruins our date," she says her voice becoming shaky with emotion.

He kisses her cheek, cutting her off from saying anymore, as he turns the pickup around. "It is okay, sweetheart. Cole is more important than a date, we will always have another time for that. We need to be with him right now."

His words make her heart melt and the tears over flow from her eyes. The fact that he says 'we' need to be there for Cole reassures her that he isn't going to run at the first sight of trouble. "Thank you, Jedediah," she whispers as she lays her head on his shoulder.

He wraps his arm tighter around her and kisses her forehead. "He will be okay, sweetheart."

With every thought that is running through her mind she can only nod in response.

A/N

I can not tell you how sorry I am for it being so long since I updated! I have had some writers block and lack of inspiration so I didn't want to push it and write something horrible.

So whys your thoughts? So happy to get to hear them!