Chapter 29

It has been two weeks since Cole got sick and he is back to his normal, full of energy, self. Aubrey has noticed that Jedediah has been more distant than usual, but brushes it off as nothing and says a prayer for peace.

"Miss Aubrey, can I get this book?" Jakeston asks her holding up a monster truck book.

She smiles at him and adds it to the stack of books in her hands. "Yes sir, one more for you." She chuckles as he scampers off to the kid section in the library.

Jenny joins her in watching the three little two year olds look at the shelves and shelves of books. "I can't believe you wrangled these three around in the library."

Aubrey laughs. "Well the house was getting too small and it is a little chilly for playing outside for too long."

"They certainly like to read, don't they?"

"That's for sure! Story time is a regular assurance around here," Aubrey says as Markus brings her another book.

Jenny turns to look more at Aubrey while wiggling her eyebrows. "And how's that very handsome man of yours?"

This causes a blush and a giggle from Aubrey. "He is working hard, as usual."

"Yes, and when is the next date?" Jenny presses in a sing-songy voice.

Another shade of red covers Aubrey's cheeks. "Well not that you need to know, but he promised one this week."

Jenny's grin grows and a knowing look crosses her eyes.

Aubrey narrows her own and cocks an eyebrow in question. "And just what do you know that you are keeping from me?"

"Oh nothing!"

Before Aubrey has a chance to say anything the three little bundles of energy come bounding up ready to take their new books home. They check out their books and climb into her car. As she drives home Aubrey begins to think about what Jenny could possibly know about her date this week.
***

Jedediah scrapes his hands over his face in annoyance and turns to face his sister. "Staaaacy!" He drags her name out in frustration.

"Jedediah Williams, if you want to sweep this woman off of her feet you better start making some decisions about which shirt you like better."

He huffs. "Fine! I like the blue one better, but what if she doesn't?"

His sister smiles. "Don't worry, she will. Speaking of your woman, have you actually told her that your parents and siblings bombed your plan so this date isn't going to be so 'special'?"

H presses his lips together. "Right. Well it is still going to be special, but I should probably tell her that y'all are here."

"Uh, yeah. We, ladies, kind of like a heads up."

He turns his head to her. "Oh really? Well women aren't the only ones that like a heads up. Men that have plans with their very special girlfriend like one too." He raises his voice for the last sentence, but they both know that he isn't mad.

"I know, I know, but you really should have told me you planned to do that now!"

"I guess so, but it will be good for y'all to meet her before I do that. I don't know why I didn't think of that before I started planning this."

She smiles. "I do," she says softly.

He looks at her in question.

"You love her. You haven't thought about things like that because all you can see is that you love her and her little boy."

"I guess, but that isn't good enough reason. Anyway! Do not, and I repeat: do not be overly 'Stacy' and scare her away."

She throws her head back laughing. "Trust me, she will love me."
***

"Hey, sweetheart, I need to tell you something," Jedediah says settling himself the couch beside her. Cole was playing in his room leaving them pretty much alone.

She turns to face him, wearing a smile. "Okay."

"So you know how I promised that we would go on a date this week?"

She nods her smile fading a little. This makes him want to hurry up and assure her that it is okay news not bad news.

"Well we are still going on that date, just not by ourselves." He pauses, "My parents, brother and sister showed up unannounced so they want to meet you and Cole."

Within a matter of seconds multiple emotions cross her face. First confusion then fear then happiness and once again fear claims her. "Uh, umm-"

He wraps his arms around her and gently places his lips on hers. "It is okay, sweetheart, they are going to love you, I promise."

She lays her head on his shoulder. "Do- do they know?"

"About Cole?"

She nods against his muscular shoulder.

"Yes, they are really excited to meet him. And you too."

She lifts her head and wraps her arms around his neck. "Are you sure, my handsome Jedi?"

He kisses her lightly before answering, "I am positive, my beautiful sweetheart."

A smile graces her lips as she places each of her hands on his cheeks and pulls him to her for a kiss. It is slow and sweet with each of them taking in the others lips. Maybe it is only a kiss on the couch, but for them it is a promise that everything will be alright and they will get through it together. No matter what.
***

"Mom! Dad! I'm going to pick them up. When I get back I want you all to keep your comments to yourself, unless they are encouraging, and don't mess this up for me," Jedediah instructs nerves beginning to slowly build up.

Joseph, his dad, chuckles. "Don't worry, son, we got it. Just go get your pretty little girlfriend."

As Jedediah pulls up to the little White House he has been spending a lot of time at he smiles. Yes, it is going to be alright. Before he has even opened his pickup door the front door is flung open and a bright happy little Cole comes barreling down the steps to him. "Daddy!" He yells catching Jedediah slightly off guard. It has been quite a while since the little boy has called him that and although he doesn't mind and in fact likes it he wants it to be official first.

"Hey, little man," he says as he scoops the little boy up into his arms. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah! Can we see the horses when we get there?"

Jedediah's smiles grows. "Maybe not right when we get there, but I will take you to see them before I bring you back home." By now he has made his way into the house and is standing in the kitchen. Hearts form in his eyes as he takes in his gorgeous girlfriend. "Man! You look amazing, sweetheart."

She blushes as she wraps her arms around his neck and places a kiss on his cheek. "Well thank you. You look quite dashing yourself, handsome Jedi."

"Hey! What about me?" Cole says from his perch on Jedediah's shoulders.

They laugh and Aubrey tickles him. "You are just like-" she stutters slightly, "like Jedediah, very handsome." She shakes her head. It's not safe to come that close to calling Jedediah Cole's dad.

"Y'all ready to go?" Jedediah asks breaking the silence.

Aubrey smiles, a hint of nervousness in her eyes, and nods. He takes her hand and kisses her cheek before leading them both to his pickup. The ride is filled with a comfortable silence until they pull up to his house.  Then Cole start to bounce in his car seat and say, "Yay yay yay" over and over again.

A/N

Longer chapter and leaving you in a slight cliffhanger... don't you love me? 😉😉😁