Chapter 4

Jedediah stands at his closet door, with a towel around his waist, gazing in. He shakes his head in bewilderment. He has never had this much trouble picking which shirt he was going to wear, let alone pick in between three pair of Levi jeans!

"Why do girls take your brain away and replace it with a rock?" He mutters.

After five more minutes he picks out a solid blue Wrangler shirt and his newest pair of Levi's. He glances at the rope clock that hangs above his dresser. Five minutes before he was suppose to be there. How had it taken him fifteen minutes sense he got out of the shower to comb his hair, pick clothes and put them on?!

"This is really not good. " He tells his dog. He grabs his black felt hat and makes his way out the door and to his beat up pickup.

Pulling up to Ken and Kate's house he notices that Traven and Raely's pick up isn't there. His heart sinks. Aubrey hadn't left his thought since seeing her sand covered. He sighs and makes his way in the house.

"Jedediah! Good to see you." Kate exclaims in her usual cheerful manner enveloping him in a hug.

"You too Kate." He smiles.

"Jedediah my single hand!" Ken, the foreman's voice rings out as he claps Jedediah's shoulder.

"When are you going to let that go?"

"When you are on one knee proposing." Ken answers with a wide grin.

Jedediah shakes his head and follows his boss outside. Clint, another hand, his wife and family pulled up and got out. The children and Gwen, Clint's wife, went inside while the men stood around telling old stories.
***
"Cole, get your boots out of the closet, please." Aubrey tells her son while fixing hair in the mirror.

"Momma! I want to get dressed." He declares running back in the room with the boots that had been given to him at his birthday.

"Okay, can you bring your clothes in here?" She smiles as he nods and scampers off. He comes back with his clothes in tow.

"Momma, you look beautiful" He tells her as she slides his 'Dirt is Good' tee shirt over his head.

"Thank you big boy." She smiles fighting back the tears that threaten to fall.

"Jedi will think you look pretty."

How did he already know about that kind of stuff? He was two years old. She shakes her head trying to remove the thoughts as a blush creeps to her cheeks.

When Cole is dressed she slides her Nike tennis shoes on completing her outfit. Her hair was down, the grey V-neck was loose, but not baggy. Her jean capris finished off her casual look. Satisfied with her look she scoops a laughing Cole up and walks into the loving room where Traven his putting shoes on Jakeston.

"Ready Sweet Bear?" Traven asks as Raely walks in the room holding Markus.

"Have you seen his shoes?"

"I know where they are!" Cole declares. Aubrey lets him down and he scurries off. In a minute or so he comes back holding up matching shoes to Jakeston's.

"Thank you, Cole." Traven smiles.

After all the kids are dressed and ready to go everyone files out the door. Aubrey and Cole follow the Longs in her 4 Runner being that there isn't enough room for everyone in one vehicle. With every cattle guard they pass over she becomes more nervous. In between meeting all of the ranch people and seeing Jedediah again she has become a nervous wreck.

Cole bounds out of the car as soon as Aubrey opens the door.

"Momma, can I go play with Markus and Jakeston?" He asks, but before she can answer he runs off.

Aubrey smiles and closes the door.
***
Jedediah hears a little kid call his name, and expecting it to be MJ he smiles and searches the ground for the source of the noise. He is surprised when Cole runs up to him.

"Jedi!" The little boy declares with a smile as wide as the Rio Grande is long.

"Hey Cole! Have you had a fun day?" Jedediah asks as he picks Cole up.

"Yeah! Momma look! Jedi is holding me!" Cole exclaims as Aubrey walks up.

"How are this evening, Miss Aubrey?" Jedediah inquires with a smile.

"I'm good. I can take him." She answers nervously.

"He is quite alright, unless you need him for something."

"Please let him hold me." Cole pleads touching that 'anything for you, Cole' spot in Aubrey's heart.

"If he doesn't mind," she agrees a smile spreading across her face and Jedediah's too. Cole's smile grows and he leans over Jedediah's arm to kiss her cheek.

"I don't ever mind holding cute little boys."

"I'm not cute! I am a big boy and big boys aren't cute." Cole states folding his hands over his chest. Aubrey and Jedediah both laugh.

"Be nice, Cole." Aubrey instructs after her laughter dies down.

The three make their way in the house where Traven catches a glimpse of them and smiles mischievously. Cole scampers off with the other kids as Aubrey and Jedediah settle onto a couch. 

Kate and Gwen call everyone to dig in which the guys take full advantage of. They usher their wives and children to the line. Jedediah carries Cole on his shoulders as he fixes his own plate while Aubrey fixes her and Coles plates. He sits Cole down at the table that the Longs are sitting at before getting tea for the three as Traven was getting theirs.

"Y'all are so cute." Raely whisper yells at Aubrey as she sits down.

Aubrey feels heat rising and shakes her head at Rae.

"I told you what I think." She mutters as Traven comes back with three cups, Jedediah following not far behind. Raely shrugs with a smile and takes one cup from Traven.
***
"Would you like to go on a walk?" Jedediah asks Aubrey once everyone was done eating.

She glances over to where Cole plays with the other kids.

"I'll watch him. You just go." Raely assures her. "And have fun." She adds a whisper.

Aubrey blushes a little and shakes her head at Rae's comment.

"Sure." She manages to keep her voice steady as she accompanies her answer with a nod. She watches as his smile grows and leads the way to the dirt drive way.

"How are you liking the open spaces?" He asks breaking the silence that had fallen around them.

"I like it. I grew up on a ten acre spread out side of Big Spring so it isn't entirely new. Although I am defiantly not used to this much space." She chuckles nervously and plays with her fingers.

"I guess it would be a big change from just ten acres."

"Do you have siblings?" She asks.

"I have a younger brother and a older sister. You?"

"I have a older brother and a younger sister."

Jedediah hears the hurt in her voice and decides to leave the topic of family alone. "Cole seems like he is adjusting well."

"Yeah, he never has really had a chance to be around kids his age so he is really enjoying it."

He smiles at her making her squirm under his gaze. This makes him chuckle to himself.

"So I guess you want to know the story," she asserts turning serious.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I'm here to listen if you want to talk about it."

"No it is fine. I've needed to get it off my chest again anyway."