Chapter 24

Jedediah takes Aubrey's hand in his and picks Cole up with his free arm. She looks up at him with uncertainty in her eyes. He tries to give her the most reassuring smile he can. He knows she was right when she said it isn't going to be easy to show up at her parents funeral, but he knew she needed to.

For the millionth time his gaze sweeps over her body. She is wearing a black and white dress that hangs off her hips just right. It falls just above her knees and she wears it with a pair of heels. Even if it is for a funeral she still looks glowing in every way.

Her grip on his hand becomes tighter as they walk through the door of the community center. He watches as her gaze travels around the room and her face becomes a little more pale with every person she sees. Gently, he pulls her to him and kisses the top of her head.

"It is okay, sweetheart, I'm not going anywhere," he whispers. He wants to say is this what you wan to do, but knows that's not what she needs right now.

Slowly she nods and they begin to walk towards the rows and rows of chairs. She picks the very back row and in the corner behind a family. As much as he wants to he does not question her choice only nods and settles a very tired Cole onto his lap.

Many people pass by and only stare as if they know who she is, but are afraid to talk to her. This makes Jedediah's blood boil. How can they not even say hello? The longer they sit there before the service starts the more he wants to get up and leave. The more he wants to stand up and tell everyone how much they are wrong about Aubrey and how much they are missing out.

Just as the pastor asks everyone to find a seat a tall girl with hair just slightly darker than Aubrey's walks up. She looks to be a year or so younger than Aubrey. "Aubrey?"

Jedediah watches as Aubrey looks up from playing with the hem of her dress. A look of shock replaces the look of dread on her face, but he doesn't miss the glimmer of fear in her eyes. As she starts to speak he realizes why. "Lacey? You are all grown up!"

Lacey smiles and her gaze travels to the man and little boy beside her.

"Lacey, this is my boyfriend, Jedediah. And my son, Cole. Jedediah, Cole, this is my sister, Lacey." She glances at Cole who has his head buried in Jedediah's neck and his legs wrapped around the broad torso. No doubt her little boy is overwhelmed and for that she is sorry.

Jedediah forces a smile and shakes her hand. "Nice to meet you, Lacey."

"You too," she replies although she isn't fooling anyone with the sharp edge in her voice. "I'm so glad you decided to come. I wasn't sure if you would when you didn't answer my text."

Aubrey smiles weakly and reclasps her fingers through his. Just then the pastor calls everyone's attention to the screen behind him dragging Lacey to the front row. Aubrey breaths a sigh of relief as she watches the retreating figure of her sister. Lacey would always be her little sister, but that didn't change what happened.

Jedediah tunes out the stories of people that hurt his sweet girlfriend so very much and Aubrey is entirely dazed over through the entire service. Her mind slips into a memory of when she was a young girl.

"Lacey! Lacey, open my present last," a seven year old Aubrey yells at her little sister's fifth birthday party.

So after all the other presents have been opened and oohed over Lacey strips all the tape from the huge box that won't fit through the front door. "What is it Sissy?"

Aubrey shrugs, giggles and looks at her dad. He winks at her as they watch Lacey lift the flaps on the box open. Lacey's face lights up and she begins to bounce up and down while squealing.

Aubrey grins. "I thought since I have out grown it and you always wanted it, you should have it."

Lacey runs to Aubrey and wraps her as tight as she can. "Thank you thank you thank you thank you sissy! I can't believe you are giving me your awesome pink bike!'

The shuffling of feet draw Aubrey from her memory. Everyone is filing out the door into the lobby where they will most likely office words of sorrow to her siblings, tell stories about her parents, and catch up with one another. Even though she can name a lot of people in the room she is sure they wouldn't have a clue who she is.

The family is asked to stay for a meal to catch up and remember the old times. Aubrey stares straight ahead frozen to the spot where she stands. This is what she needs to do, what will make or break a future with her siblings, but fear is rapidly consuming her mind. She looks over a Jedediah who looks at her with a softness in his eyes she knows all she has to do is tell him and they would be out the door so fast her head would spin, but if she wants to face this he will be right there beside her.

She looks to a sleeping Cole and smiles. He deserves for me to at least try to make this work. Looking back at her amazing boyfriend she nods and cracks a tiny smile. He wraps an arm around her and kisses her forehead with a smile. "It will be okay, sweetheart."

She nods. "Yeah, it will."