Chapter 28

Jedediah doesn't try to hurry and open her door for her as the tires roll to a stop. He knows that gentlemanly manners is not what she needs right now. He envelopes her in a hug and places a kiss on the top of her head. When she looks at him with question in her eyes he nods. "Go ahead, I'll be in in a minute."

She nods and begins to walk towards the Long's house only to stop short and turn back to kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you for being here," she whispers, her voice soft and sweet but with tears hanging in the background.

He smiles. "Of course, sweetheart, anything for you and Cole." He watches as she smiles and kisses his cheek before going towards the house. A slight grin spreads across his face at her affection. He places the block he keeps in the back of his pickup behind the back tire so that the vehicle doesn't roll anywhere before turning to the house.

The sight that meets his eyes as he steps through the back door makes a smile stretch across his lips and a tear begin to form in his eye. Aubrey holds Cole close to her as he wraps his arms around her neck and lays his head on her small slender shoulder. He can tell that the love the mother son pair shares is much stronger than the fever building inside the little boy.

Aubrey cuddles Cole as Jedediah takes his stuff out to the pickup and starts it. When Aubrey comes out he opens the door for her and holds Cole while she gets it. Once both of them are in the cab he gently closes the door and jogs around to his side.
***

"How is he, sweetheart?" Jedediah ask Aubrey as he hands her a cup of coffee. He gently rubs his hand over the soft golden locks of the little boys head.

She smiles up at him and takes the coffee in her free hand. "He still has a fever but it isn't as high."

"Good. Anything I can do to help?"

A small grin spreads across her lips. "How about you turn a movie on and come snuggle with me?"

He shakes his head. "I can do that no problem, but you know that's not what I am talking about."

"Yes I know. When he wakes up I might have you get him a bath ready, there isn't anything to do right now."

He sits down beside her and kisses her cheek. "Okay sweetheart. "He puts on a detective movie and wraps his arms around her. As the movie plays on he stops paying attention to it and more on the pair he loves so much. Yes, he has fallen in love with them both. When God blessed him with love it was a package love and there is no way in the world he would trade them for anything.

As the movie finishes Cole begins to wake up. He rubs his eyes and moves around in Aubrey's lap. "Hey, big boy, how do you feel?"

He looks up at his momma and a little bit of a smile makes its way onto his lips. "Better." When he sees Jedediah peering over his moms shoulder he giggles.

Big smiles spread across Jedediah and Aubrey's face. She looks up at him and he kisses her forehead. "All he needed was his momma," he tells her.

A smile slips onto her lips but she shakes her head. "No he needed to be cuddled and loved by both of us." She wants to say 'by his parents' but figures that should be Jedediah's move, not hers. Tearing her mind from the thought she asks him to get her the thermometer.

When he comes back with it he asks Cole if he can do it. The little boy, who is obviously feeling better, giggles and says, "Sure but I bet you can't make the airplane like momma does it."

This makes Jedediah and Aubrey both laugh. "Well since you challenged me like that I suppose I will just see what the engine has got." As he spins the thermometer in the air he makes the 'motor boat' sound. "It circles closer and closer until... Bam! It slides into place under the safety of his arm."

Cole laughs at Jedediah's narration and sound effects. "You are silly."

"Does that mean my airplane is better than my eggs?" Jedediah asks in a teasing tone. The question causes Aubrey to look at the boys in question, but when neither hints at what he is talking about she shrugs it off as nothing.

Cole giggles again. "Your eggs can't beat my momma's but your airplane has a little bit more fun in it."

Aubrey laughs. "Well if I have to lose to someone on the airplane I sure am glad it is you," she says to Jedediah before kissing his cheek.

He smiles, kisses her forehead and wraps them both in a hug. A thought, that will keep him busy for weeks to come, pops into mind making his smile get a little bit bigger, if that is even possible.

A/N
So I know it is short but a wise person once told me: sometimes fifteen minutes is all you need.

What do you guys think?