Chapter 15

Aubrey rereads the name on her phone. This can't be true! Is he for real calling me or is this a dream, because it better be real.

"Hello?" She answers.

"Aubrey."

A smile spreads across her face as her name rolls off his tongue and her eyes light up like fireworks at the new year, "Hey Jedediah."

He sighs, "Aubrey, I'm sorry, I've been a total jerk. I guess I've never been good at accepting help, but I shouldn't have treated you the way I have. Aubrey, I know that I've said this before, but I am for real."

She smiles slightly and pulls her knees to her chest, "Jedediah, it's okay. We all mess up and have rough spots, right?" She takes a deep breath. Am I really going to do this? "I am willing to give us another shot and put in the work that it takes if you are. I can't keep risking Cole's love for horses and relationship with you though. When I do things it doesn't just effect me anymore, it effects Cole too."

"I get that and I am sorry if I have caused trouble with Cole. I feel like I don't deserve another chance. Yes, Aubrey, I am willing to put in twice the work that a healthy relationship takes."

"Good," she tells him a smile playing with the edge of her lips.

He rubs the back of his neck with a chuckle, "Ken kind of told me to get out of his way so I'm at my parents for a couple days. Try and even out the bugging until I get okayed."

She laughs and turns her head towards the sound of little feet on the floor, "Okay, Jakeston just woke up from his nap so I should probably go."

"If you must. Call me later?"

She smiles, "Yeah."

They say their 'see you laters' and hang up. She scoops and groggy Jakeston into her arms and cuddles him to her, beginning to rock back and forth on the couch. The little boy falls back asleep quickly, but as she lays him down in his bed Markus and Cole wake up. Perching one on each hip she makes her way back into the living room and settles onto the couch.

When the three little boys finally wake up she feeds them before cleaning them up. Jakeston jumps on the couch and starts to bounce while she finishes wiping Markus' mouth. Mean while Cole bangs on the back door yelling he wants to go outside. Aubrey runs her fingers through her blonde hair and swings the back door open ushering the three outside.

Do boys ever stop going?

She laughs at the idea and closes the door behind her. The grass suddenly becomes interesting as she settles onto the ground and the sounds of happy boys playing in the sand. She plucks a few pieces and spins them between two fingers thinking about all the possibilities that could happen. However, the thoughts are quickly blow away as she gets caught up in watching the three two year old boys.

They play a very rough version of tag before switching to 'sword' fights that involved whacking the long branches from one another's hold. Aubrey laughs as they bring it above their heads only to barely hit the others, that is until the branches no longer hit one another's branches, but on the little brown haired heads. She takes the sticks away sending each of the three to a different spots in the house for their time out.

With a small chuckle she positions herself in a chair so that she can keep an eye on all of them. If Jedediah and his three brothers where half as much of these three are I feel really sorry for his mom! She shakes her head her smile never leaving. Really Aubrey? Jedediah again?
***

Jedediah feels stupid walking around with a huge grin on his face. Refusing to be caught looking as giddy as a teenage he takes a stroll to the little dirt tank on the edge of the property. The two miles takes him just over an hour at his leisurely pace.

He takes in the murky water as it ripples up to the weeds growing on the banks with the lazy breeze. A large rock by the base of a mesquite tree catches his eye and he moseys over to it. As he easily lowers himself onto it he grabs a small stick and twirls it in his hands. He pulls his straight blade knife he keeps on his belt and begins to whittle the thin bark off of the outside of it.

Before he knows it he has made it a very flat smooth piece of wood. He ponders on something simple that he could carve in it for Aubrey, much like he had for his mother growing up. Taking another stick he draws an A in the muddy dirt. Then using it as a pattern he carves one in the light colored wood.

"Perfect," he announces holding it at arms length. The light color shows the cursive like A with great detail and the smoothness makes him smile. He rises and sticks it in his back pocket before turning back to the house.

About halfway there Ham runs out from under a bush, his tail wagging and his tongue hanging out in a smile like form, "You think she'll like it?" The dog pants harder making him look like he smiles in agreement. Jedediah chuckles and scratches the mutt's ears before picking up his pace.

As he reaches the front steps his phone rings. The corner of his lips turn up as his hand reaches for his cellular device. Aubrey reads on the screen and he immediately answers, "Hey, pretty lady!" He declares stepping out and trying the high school flirting.

A nervous giggle meets his ears along with a, "Hello to you too," there was a pause, "Handsome."

Huge doesn't descried the smile that spreads across his face, along with a half smirk. "I am, am I?"

She blushes and presses her lips together. "Yeah."

He laughs. "Why thank you! How was your day with the boys?"

She smiles and relaxes into the many pillows that surround her on the couch. "It was okay. They got into a fight with sticks and now Cole and Jakeston have black eyes. Markus got off with a couple bruises."

"We know who dominated that fight."

"Yeah, but I feel bad. Their kids have black eyes and bruises when they come home," she tells him flipping through the pages if her book.

"Aubrey, they were kids once too. Besides I can assure you that Traven got plenty of black eyes as a kid. There battle scars, who doesn't want one?"

She groans and tosses a pillow in the air. "Sensible people, that's who!"

He throws his head back in laughter, "Oh Aubrey, you are such a girl."

"Yes, that is, after all, how the good Lord created me," she retorts with a small smirk.

He smiles, "Yes, he did and a pretty one too."

She blushes madly and begins to twirl a piece of her blonde hair around her finger. "Anyway so how was your day?"

"It was good. I relaxed by the dirt tank most of the afternoon, after to talking you."

"That's nice."

The conversation falls flat as neither know what to say, until Jedediah decides to concur the taunting thoughts.

He takes a deep breath. "So I plan to come day after tomorrow, would you like to go on a date? Cole can come if you need."

Her heart beat picks up and a smile spreads across her face. Another date sounded wonderful, but was she mentally prepared for this? "Yeah, sounds fun. I'll see if he can stay with someone. What time should I be ready?"

"I don't know, but we'll talk before then, right?"

She smiles and nods. "For sure."

"Good night, pretty lady."

"Night, handsome."

She hangs up a smile and slight blush gracing her face. Slipping into her pajamas she can't stop thinking about Jedediah and the upcoming date. I am for sure going to ask Jenny for fashion help.