Chapter 12

"Yeah, I can give you a second chance, and um I guess you should know that Cole and I moved into to town." Aubrey smiles nervously.

He nods, "Raely told me you moved, but didn't say where to."

She nods, "I didn't want to overstay my welcome."

"So what are you doing Friday evening?" He asks taking a leap of confidence.

"Uh, I don't think anything, why?" She stutters having a feeling she knows what comes next.

He smiles, "I thinking, if you wanted to, we could go into to town for supper."

Caught off guard she racks her brain for a logical answer, "Uh, yeah sure."

"Great, pick you up at say six?" He asks his smile growing if that is even possible. She nods wearing her own smile.

They watch as Cole stands on a bucket to reach the horse's ribs with the green Dandy brush. The little boy's smile is big enough to swallow the moon as he brushes the bay coat and then smooth's it out with his hand. The smile he wears in turn makes Aubrey smile at the joy that radiates from her child.

After an hour of brushing the horses Aubrey pulls Cole away saying it is time to eat. He cries until he fell asleep in his car seat on the way home.
***

Friday evening rolls around and Jedediah's nerves are through the roof. What if she doesn't like Mexican food? What happens if she forgets? Does my shirt need to be ironed? Every possible thought runs through his head as he showers and dresses for the evening.

He is ready a few minutes ready so he pulls out his bible and turns to Philippians chapter 4, first to verse 13 and then to 6-7, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," He reads aloud. "Be anxious in nothing, but in everything through prayer and thanksgiving make your request known to God that he may give you the desires of your heart." 

Checking his hair one more time he plunks his nice clean felt hat on his head and pulls his keys from his pocket. He starts the engine and cleans out the passenger seat, his hands growing sweaty. Finally satisfied with everything he checks the time and pulls out towards town.
****

Aubrey checks her hair and the light covering of make up she is wearing. Jenny should be here by now. Since going to church and living in town she has gotten to know Jenny Hill very well and become very close friends. When she told Jenny about her date Jenny had immediately offered to watch Cole for the evening.

Just then the door bell rings bringing her from her thoughts. She checks her watch before opening the door, breathing a sigh of relief when it is Jenny's face she sees, "Hey! I am so thankful you offered."

"It's not a problem, you nervous?"

Aubrey scoffs, "Are you kidding? I am freaking out!"

Jenny laughs, "You will be fine! Just be your amazing self and everything will be fine."

"Thanks." She shows her where everything is and Cole invites Jenny to play Thomas the Train with him. Aubrey smiles and grabs her purse as the door bell rings once more. Her heart fluttering wildly she kisses Cole goodbye and rushes to the door.

Her heart stops as her vision is met with the handsome broad shoulders covered by a crisp white shirt accompanied by a dark pair of Levi jeans.

Jedediah tries desperately to keep his breathing even as he looks upon the most beautiful woman he has ever laid eyes on. Her hair is in loose curls flowing down her back and on her shoulders, the simple sundress that hangs from her shoulders. "You look stunning."