Chapter 16

Aubrey gazes at herself in the mirror and smiles. The simple chevron blouse fits her nicely and the dark jeans hug her hips just enough so that they don't look baggy. The door bell yanks her from her thoughts. Crap! Cole isn't even dressed.

She scurries to the door and swings it open with a sympathetic face. Jedediah's face appears wearing a smile and his same taco creased black felt hat. "I'm so sorry, I don't have us ready, but you can come in."

He laughs at her nervousness and nods, bringing his hat from his head. "Aubrey, if it works better for you, we can just order pizza and hang out here."

"Thanks, but we don't have to."

"I know we don't have to, but it would be easier. Then Cole is in his house when he gets tired and I'm not a fancy guy, so dinner and a movie is fine with me if it is for you."

Before she has a chance to reply Cole barrels through the doorway hollering, "Jedi! Jedi is here."

Jedediah scopes him up and smiles, then his eyes move to Aubrey's smiling face. He catches her gaze and lifts his eyebrows. His smile only grows as he pulls his phone from the right pocket on his shirt. "You like pizza, Cole?"

The little boy nods vigorously making them both laugh. Jedediah once again glances at Aubrey in question and for approval. She blushes under his intent gaze and smiles giving him a slight nod. He returns a bright smile and dials the pizza places number.
***

Cole cries on Aubrey's shoulder as Jedediah pulls away to go get the pizza. "Cole, he is just going to get the food, calm down buddy."

After a few minutes, that seem like hours, his wails turn to gentle cries and then to sobs. The sound of the front door sends the sobs to the sound of little feet scrambling across the floor and before Aubrey has time to say anything at all the pizza in on the table and the boys are both staring at her with wide mischievous smiles.

"Plates?" Jedediah asks sitting Cole in the high chair.

She smiles and nods opening a cabinet and retrieving three light blue plastic plates. They are swept from her hand while she is closing the cabinet door and the quick light touch between she and Jedediah's hand sends shock waves coursing through her body.

With a light layer of crimson coming to grace her cheeks turns back to the cabinets and busies herself getting drinks for the three of them.

Jedediah can't help the light chuckle that escapes his lips. The fact that he could make Aubrey blush was beyond delighting to him it gave him the hope that it has a much better chance of working this time. Maybe the old saying is right after all, third times the charm.

Aubrey sits down on the other side of Cole, across from Jedediah. She catches a glimpse of his smirk and her gaze dashes down to the old and battered table before her.

"Hold Jedi's hand Mom! We have to pray," Cole declares.

Jedediah laughs as the shade on Aubrey's cheeks only grows darker. "That's alright, Cole, we'll just bless the food." He prays before popping the lid of the pizza box open and pulling out a piece of freshly baked cheese pizza. He places it on Cole's plate and begins to cut it as Aubrey gazes on with a slowly melting heart.

She notices Jedediah staring at her and quickly looks away. He chuckles and swivels the pizza box around so that it is facing her. Her heart starts to beat fast as she meets his gaze; wearing a soft smile. He smiles and nods towards the pizza with an eyebrow raised in question. She giggles softly and lifts a piece onto her plate.
***

Aubrey stands at the door of Cole's room and watches as Jedediah reads The Little Engine That Could to Cole. A giggle that announces her presences escapes her lips as Jedediah 'chugs' around the room. His cheeks catch a shade of red as he glances over at her.

"You want to take over?" He offers holding the book out.

She smiles and shakes her head. "No, you do a much better job than I do."

"I don't know about that, but if you insist," he says with a light chuckle. She smiles and takes a seat in the little blue chair beside Cole's bed.

"Read more Jedi more!" The little boy declares bouncing up and down on his bed.

Jedediah laughs and begins to continue with the story. Aubrey watches on smiling and enjoying his imitation of the story just as much as Cole. She finds herself watching the every move of the muscular 'train' that crawls on the floor. Snapping her teeth together she feels her cheeks heat up at the thought of the fact she might have been visibly drooling.

When the story is complete and Cole is tucked in with music softly playing in the room, the two settle onto the couch. Jedediah gently wraps his arm around her shoulders and shifts his gaze to peer at her happily glowing face. A big smile spreads across his face as their gazes meet. Her cheeks catch a red tent and she looks away in embarrassment.

He chuckles. "You sure are cute when your embarrassed," he whispers into her ear.

This only makes her blush deepen and cover her face with her hands. He chuckles again and pulls her hands away giving her an encouraging yet playful smile. She giggles like a teenage girl and lays her head back on his chest. He takes a deep breath breathing in the sweet smell of her shampoo.

As he runs his fingers through her hair he marvels at how silky it feels to his rough callused fingers. The touch becomes addicting, to him the longer he plays with the blonde locks, and he begins to let his muscles fully relax. As the lullabies float from Cole's room he feels Aubrey's body relax and an amused smile forms. At least I'm not the only feeling sleepy.

Aubrey flutters her eyes open and sweeps her gaze around the room. Her heart rate becomes rapid as she realizes that she has fallen asleep on Jedediah's shoulder. Jolting up right she wipes her eyes and nervously glances over at the muscle wall sitting beside her. The smile on his lips doesn't stop there, instead it travels to his eyes where he winks at her. Her cheeks only gain heat as she looks away with her own smile.

"Did you have a good cat nap?" He asks with a slight chuckle.

She once again hides behind her hands. "It was good," she mutters.

He smiles. "Good. Now, do I have permission from my personal doctor to go home and get some sleep before checking back in tomorrow?"

She giggles. "Permission granted as long as you take the left over pizza."

"That's a pretty cheap deal."

She smiles and climbs from the couch. "Yes well I'm a cheap doctor."

He laughs and stands from the soft cushions of the couch. Gently wrapping his arm around her he smiles. "You sure are gorgeous."

For the umpteenth time this evening her cheeks turn red. "Thank you, you look quite handsome yourself."

This time it his cheeks that catch color.