Unknown Darkness Chapter 18- Betrayal

Mason P.O.V

    "Mason she’s scared. She’s new to all of this. Don’t take what she says seriously."

"Apollo she’s right. I don’t see humans in anyway other then food. I killed my own parents... like they were food. That’s all they were to me."

"That’s what they are supposed to be, but we aren’t dead Mason, we all still have feelings. Whether it be guilt, regret, hatred-"

"Love?"

"Yes Mason... Love."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessie P.O.V

                I can feel my consciousness slipping. I can’t keep this up. My back and arms are getting cut from the gravel... And shards of glass! Sliding my hands along the ground I grip a medium sized piece of glass and slice it across Stephs face. Her loud screeching scream echoes through my ears, and as she let’s go of my neck to grip her bleeding face, I take my opportunity to flip her off me and stand up. Then start to slowly make my way to the end of the ally, tripping over my feet, slipping on my blood.

When I’m nearing the end I feel her grab the back of my shirt and fling me into the ally and info a wire fence. The wires are old and rusty and stab into my back. I barely recognize the scream that escapes my lips. It sounds so animal.

As she walks towards me I can see the huge gash across her face, still gushing blood. She removes a small dagger from her boot and rushes towards me. When she gets close enough I grab her arms and her dagger slices across my arm. As her impact hits me full force she lifts up my body and the wires in the fence dig large gashes into my back. When she drops her dagger she pulls me from the fence and slams me into the nearest brick wall.

Pieces of rock jam into my cuts and dig deeper into my back. By now the entire back of my shirt is soaked with blood. Pushing Steph back she slams her head into the brick wall opposite of us. I could hear her skull crack and smell more blood coming from her fresh wound. Coming back at me she throws me onto the ground. I can see her running at me even with the blood from a gash in my forehead running into my eyes.

Feeling around I feel the cold metal tip of her dagger. Lifting it up right as she lands on me I dig the dagger into her stomach. Rolling her body off of me, I look into her lifeless eyes. This girl was once my friend... how could she do this to me?

Of all the people who could have betrayed me, it was her. I grab an old tarp I found in laying over some boxes by a trashcan and wrap her body in it. I wanted to curl up in a corner and cry till I couldn’t cry anymore.

But I knew I had to take care of her body. She said to me one time she wanted to be let go in the ocean. She wanted the tide to take her.

I don’t know how long I walked, or how far. All I know is I ended up at the beach as the tide was going out. I laid her down in the water and sat there. As the sun began to come up I had seen the last bit of the blue tarp get swallowed by the ocean. I walked back to the motel somehow. My direction was a little messed up, but i thought of Apollo and my instincts led me there. My instincts were also screaming at me to feed. My loss of blood was horrible. If I was human I would be dead, but being half vampire gave me the ability to drag on, on practically nothing. Honestly, I don’t even remember the last time I fed.

When I walked into the room I ran right into Mason’s warm chest. Instinctively he closed his arms around me. When I felt save and warm. The coldness and sorrow inside me came flowing out. All the tears for my parents, my aunt, and Steph came down my face.

All these emotions came flowing out, all my pain. The space left within filled with warmth.

                Eventually I realized that warmth was blood and I relaxed in Masons arms. He was feeding me from his arm, making a bit of mess of the front of my shirt, but filling me. He picked me up and brought me into the bathroom where Apollo and prepared a warm bath for me. It was a team effort to get my clothes off. Dried blood made the shirt cling to my body, and my shorts were all ripped up.

Apollo left after I was undressed and Mason lifted me into the bath. Mason washes the blood from my hair and face. He washes all my cuts and takes special care of the gashes on my back. Picking all debris from my wounds and washing them with warm water and soap.

                "Apollo said we are staying here for today so we can all get some rest.  We are leaving to go back home tomorrow. Is that ok?"

I can only give him a slight nod, it seems like words are beyond me. I can’t even think of the right things to say. He lifts me from the tub and wraps my body in a towel. Holding me close to his body he brings me to my bed and lays me down. I can’t even say thank you before my head snuggles into the pillow; I wrap my arms tight around myself, and fall to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Mason P.O.V

Usually it would have made a guy crazy to take care of Jessie, but the blood, cuts, and the look in her eyes... all the emptiness. Taking care of her was the least I could do after what I said to her. I don’t know what happened to her but all I know that all that blood wasn’t hers, and all that pain she had was not all hers either. I know she’s finely fallen asleep by her soft shallow breathing. Turning off the TV I sit beside her in the arm chair by her bed and fall asleep myself.

Apollo then lies down on the sofa and falls asleep. I want to know what happened; I’m just not so sure she'll be able to talk about it.