Part Five(Peter's POV)

I opened the door to me and May's apartment, bracing myself for the reprimanding I knew was going to come.

          "May?" I began, "I'm home!"

          I heard light footsteps coming from Aunt May's room. She walked out in joggers and a sweatshirt, hands on her hips, one eyebrow raised, worry lined in very curve of her face.

          "Well, Peter, would you like to tell me where you've been all day since you left school? I suspect you've been with Ned, but usually you shoot me a text or something. I tried not to worry that much because you're not perfect, you forget things occasionally, I understand that. But because I am still your guardian, and more importantly, your family, I'm still going to check up on you. Is everything okay?" May ranted, out of breath and exasperated.

          I am such an idiot. How could I forget to text Aunt May and tell her that I was with Kenzie? My heart dropped into my stomach, and a tingle of guilt raced up my spine. I felt tears creep into the corner of my eyes. But as I thought of my day, the tears dried up and a smile crept onto my face.

          May tilted her head to the side slightly, looking me up and down. She cocked her head, and put her hands back up on her hips. "Okay, something is definitely up. Tell me everything. I know I'm old and wrinkly and lame, but friends come in all shapes and sizes you know?"

          The pounding in my heart subsided a little bit, and I looked up at my aunt, grateful in every aspect for her. "May, I don't even know where to start. Today has been so amazing. I, I went down to New York City with this girl who I really, really like. Her name is McKenzie, but she goes by Kenzie. She's, she's, ah. There are no perfect words to describe her. She makes me so happy, May. I was such an idiot around her, but she didn't scowl at me, didn't groan or cringe when I looked at her— she actually seemed to like me a little bit. I mean, not like me like me, but she seemed okay with me, you know? I broke her backpack yesterday on accident, so we went to Target and she bought another backpack for herself. She let me come along with her, and she looked so beautiful, and she talked to me like I was a regular person. No other girl has acted like that towards me before. She didn't ask me to do her homework, and she said I wasn't an idiot. Even though I totally am an idiot. We talked and laughed and I just felt like I was on a different planet. May, she makes me so happy." I felt like I could talk forever, but I collapsed onto the couch and ran my fingers through my hair, trying to expend some of the energy and adrenaline that I felt.

          I looked up at my aunt, a smile stuck on my face. She had her hands over her mouth, and I saw a glimpse of tears in the corner of her eyes. I smiled even wider, and my entire body felt weightless. She took her hands away from her mouth, and breathed, "Peter. I cannot tell you how happy seeing you this happy makes me. I have never seen you smile so much in your entire life. I can tell how much you like this girl. I am confused as to why I have never heard about her before, but I digress. I have now. I want to hear everything about your day, not a single detail left out. Go." May sat down next to me and gave me an intense look, searching back and forth between my eyes as if she could hear my thoughts.

          I started from the beginning and told her everything. Well, almost everything. As I talked, I couldn't stop smiling. I told May about everything that happened, from the external side and the internal side of things. The more I talked about Kenzie, the happier I became. I was certain that at that moment, I was the happiest person on Earth. I was still having trouble grasping the fact that she hadn't hated me, and that she had actually complimented some things about me. And she said that we should go again. She wanted to be with me again. While I was explaining that to Aunt May, it made me want to scream in happiness.