Part Seven(Kenzie's POV)

Panic was rising in my chest as I invited Ned inside. "You are welcome to go sit on the couch, Ned." I began.

        He nodded, quickly shuffling over to the couch in my living room.

         I closed the door behind him, turning around slowly, terrified to face whatever news Ned had brought with him. I heard my bedroom door shut, and then I saw Lucy's face peek over the top of the banister. I looked up at her, trying to stay calm.

          Evidently there was still a look of panic on my face because Lucy's eyes widened and she sprinted down the stairs, hopping the last four steps. She walked up to me, looked out the glass panes of the door, and then returned her focus to me, obviously confused. "Nobody's out there. Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" she asked, a look of concern crossing her face.

          I nodded in Ned's direction. He was sitting on the couch, staring absently and rocking back on forth, his arms wrapped around himself. As soon as Lucy's gaze settled on Ned, her face slacked and her eyes became wider than saucers. "Peter?" she ventured.

          "I don't know. I have no idea what's going on." I groaned.

          A familiar look of determination replaced Lucy's panicked expression, and she stated calmly, "Let's go find out."

          She took my arm, and together we walked into my living room and sat on the couch opposite of Ned.

          "Ned, what's going on?" I stammered.

          "It's Peter. He, he's hurt. I know he is. It's my fault. I shouldn't have let him leave. He should have been home by now," Ned sniffled.

          My throat constricted, and I immediately felt light-headed. I felt Lucy's arm reach out and squeeze my knee gently, and she spoke the words I couldn't bring myself to say. "What happened, Ned?"

          He started shaking his head, looking lost and exasperated. "I don't know exactly. He didn't tell me. He said he would be back by dinnertime, which always happens right around 5:00."

          I lifted my head to look at the clock. It read 8:58 p.m. Peter should have been back almost 4 hours ago. I felt my heart sink.

          "I don't know where he is. I think I know a way to find him. But I'm going to need your help, McKenzie. I really wouldn't have asked if I wasn't desperate, but I think that you're the only one that Peter would want to do this." Ned mumbled.

          "What about his aunt?" I said, finding my voice. "Can she help?"

          "May would shut down if she knew Peter was in any danger. She would lose her head, she wouldn't be thinking straight. I need someone with a level head to help. May... she just wouldn't be that person. I really need you to help me find him," Ned begged.

          "Hold up, what about me?" Lucy intervened, fire in her eyes. "I'm not letting my best friend go on some wacko recue mission without me. That's insane. No way."

          "Lucy," I pleaded, surprised at how calm my voice sounded, "Please let me do this. If Peter needs me, I need to be there for him. I have to do this by myself." I looked her in the eyes, begging her silently.

          She looked back at me with intensity, but I didn't back down. Eventually she sighed, looked away, and conceded. "Fine. But if you get hurt, I am going to kill you. Both of you."

          I smiled in gratitude and gave her a hug. "I'll call you when I get home," I promised.

          Lucy nodded, and then stood up and walked out the front door. I heard the rev of an engine and I knew she had driven away.