Part Six(Kenzie's POV)

The day after mine and Peter's excursion was moving slowly. Mom was home for lunch, but left for work shortly after. Dad hadn't come home yet. So I was home by myself all day, unable to do anything but let my mind wander.

          I thought about a lot of things- school, college, the future. Most of the time, my thoughts kept drifting back to Peter, back to yesterday. Lucy would have taunted me for hours if she knew how happy those thoughts made me.

          I was laying on my bed listening to music, hands crossed over my stomach and eyes closed contently. I was starting to fall asleep when my phone rang through my earphones, waking me up and making my ears ring.

         I jerked up out of my bed, wincing partly in surprise and pain. I took my earphones out of my phone and looked at the caller. Lucy was calling me, so I smiled, and picked it up.

          "Hey girl, what's up?" I started, looking out the window. My room is on the upper floor of my house. The big window and reading nook were my favorite part of it. It was spacious and cozy, themed in my favorite colors, posters and pictures plastered all over the walls. It was in every way my own.

          "Hey Kenz! What are you up to? Anything new?" Lucy started rambling, asking questions and laughing to herself as she went.

          "I'm not doing anything much. You are welcome to come hang if you'd like. I do have some news to catch you up on, but if you're coming over, I'll just tell you in person." I stated.

          "Ooh, I'll be over at your place in five minutes. Don't forget any of the juicy details before I get there," Lucy commented sarcastically.

          I rolled my eyes and smiled, then hung up the phone. I set my phone on my nightstand, then turned and collapsed onto my soft bed. I looked overhead at my fan that was blowing, absent-mindedly listening for the sound of a ringing doorbell.

          Before long, the doorbell rang. I got up out of my bed and ran down the stairs, opening the door to see my best friend smiling at me. "Hey, you!" I exclaimed, embracing her and moving out of the doorway to let her in.

          "Hey, Kenz! So, what's the juicy news you wanted to share with me?" Lucy raised an eyebrow in questioning.

          "I'll tell you, I'll tell you. Come on!" I laughed, pulling her up the stairs behind me. I opened the door to my room, and we immediately started towards my large reading nook.

          She sat down first on the left side of the nook, her left shoulder resting against the glass of the window that overlooked my backyard.  I sat down opposite her, on the right side, both of us laughing as we got situated. Our knees were up on the cushion, leaning up against each other. This was the place where we had talked about everything since we were kids- we had laughed until our lungs hurt, and cried until  our head hurt. All right here, sitting on this cushion, surrounded by books that had helped us escape from the scary reality that is life. We pulled the curtains closed, so it was just me and Lucy, looking out over the home and the world we had grown up in.

          I looked at my best friend, and she looked back at me , rested her arms on top of her knees, and sighed in relaxation and contentment. At that moment, she seemed to remember that I had something to tell her, and her face lit up in curiosity. "So, spill already! What's going on?"

          "Well, I went and bought the backpack yesterday." I began.

          "You wanted to talk to me about a new backpack," she stated incredulously. "I mean, a new backpack is great and all, but what's so exciting about a back—" she paused, a look of realization crossing her face. "Ohhh, you went with Peter didn't you?" she continued, grinning widely with a knowing look in her blue eyes.