Chapter 12: Red herring

RECAP:

"Yeah, I thought you'd hug each other, jump for joy, and arrange a welcome party. Maybe even some tears of joy, but I definitely didn't expect THAT. I guess we've hit a dead end." Alexis agreed. Marcus was still looking at Michael with a forlorn expression, trying to push his brain to remember the guy he saved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victoria's POV:

It broke my heart to see Marcus so distressed. This is the first time I've actually seen him express how much this whole amnesia predicament has been affecting him. We were so close to picking up the pieces to the mystery of his identity, yet just when got got a taste of some actual truths about him, the trail runs cold. There must be something else that can point us to the right direction before all hope is lost! Fuelled by the determination, I abruptly stood up from my seat, startling Alexis and Marcus, who gave me curious and questioning looks. I marched up to Michael and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around, looking surprised and confused.

"How can I help you, beautiful?" His tone was suggestive but I ignored it.

"Did you happened to see who Marcus was with, in Harvester?" I got straight to the point. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, then realisation hit him.

"Oh, you must have been on the same table as the guy who saved my life. I was so caught up in the fact that I actually got the chance to thank him, that I paid no mind to the other people at the table. Why are you so interested in what happened in Harvester anyways?" He glance at the table I was sitting at,  where Marcus and Alexis were staring at us with curiosity. 

"It doesn't matter. This is very important. Well? Did you see anyone who was with him?" I asked, rather annoyed that he was beating around the bush and not giving me answers.

"Uh...Now that I think about it, it was a woman who was dining with him that pointed out to..." Michael looked at me expectantly.

"Just call him Marcus." I confirmed for him.

"To...Marcus, that I was choking and was on the verge of death. That's when he jumped out his seat and rushed to my aid at once."

"Do you know this woman?"

"Errrr...Yeah! She's my friend's neighbour. I last saw her a few months ago on my friend's birthday. He threw a  wicked party and she knocked on the door to complain about the noise, threatening to call the police. It was me who answered the door and I tried to flirt with her to ease her hostility but she said she had a boyfriend. It's a shame because she was hot and feisty, just how I like 'em."

Boyfriend! That means she's Marcus girlfriend. Why else would they be dining together in harvester? A wave of jealousy hit me, before it was replaced by the bitter chill of sadness. Uhhh! Maybe I am developing feelings for Marcus--which would not be good. I'm probably just sad because if Marcus is gone, then there would be no one to watch CSI with me.  (Marcus immediately took a liking to that show, when I introduced it to him. It's kind of become our daily obsession, plus it educated us with useful skills in mystery solving.) "Is there any chance that you could give me her address? You must know it because she lives next to your friend." I asked, hopefully. Michael looked at me with uncertainty.

"I don't think that it is wise to give out someone's personal information, especially a fiery hot woman who is the neighbour of one of my mates, and who probably has a grudge against me. Not to mention that I barely know her." Michael seemed adamant on his decision to withhold this valuable information from me, yet I refused to back down. Marcus' future depends on this--He may never know who he is, as there is a slight possibility that he may not ever recovery from retrograde amnesia.