22. The End

.

The Doctor

.

At first when I saw the angel appear once again at the window, the hope deflated from my lungs only to reappear and disappear once again.  The second was due to what it grasped in its clawed hands, a piece of fabric that was fading in and out from existence and something that could only belong to Clair as a logical explanation.

Now a voice breaks my thoughts, Clair’s.  Thank the stars I thought for sure she was dead and I cannot deal with that right now, even though I have lied to her this whole time.  Not that I realized it until only a moment ago but I should’ve realized what she was, certainly not human at best.  Only now I have thought of the reason the angel was able to hold the fabric in it’s hands, because they both live in the fourth dimension and always have.

And then I found myself muttering, “I should’ve told her, the truth, before now this only makes things more complicated,” but I should be telling her this right, not myself. “Stupid, stupid, stupid Doctor!”

“Clair, I know I should’ve told you this before but I only just realized this myself so please listen and don’t interrupted because that’ll just make me more anxious.” I stumbled over the words that were easy but yet hard to get out at the same time.

All I received was an affirmative nod as Clair looked off at the shimmering shades of her skin.  (Which sums up my current situation, what an idiot you are Doctor.)

“To put this simply, you were never human and never died because in reality this is all just an illusion,” I started to take in a deep breath mentally yelling at myself for sounding so stupid. “But before I continue the situation is not entirely as I described but still close enough, think back do you really have any vivid memories other than from the point I met you?”

She looked at me in shock but stuttering something I couldn’t hear.  “It’s more of a blurred rush as I can remember now.” She continued staring, trailing off with her distant tone.

“You’re a Kapkre.  A master of illusions in my universe, let’s try an experiment shall we?” I added wanting to prove my assumption to be true.  “Okay you don’t really have a choice just try this.  The subtle changes of you fading from existence is just a phase in your mind of what you think SHOULD happen, so you create the image around you subconsciously.  Here now try thinking of the fabric the angel tore away back there again.” I nodded my head, waiting for her to do so.

Staring back into my eyes, she squinted in concentration trying to keep watch on the sleeve at the same time.  She doesn’t believe me does she?  Most likely that’s the situation as it is with most people, they only want to take what they think as the truth.

Slowly the fabric started to form back as imaginary needles stitched the thread through as the fabric shifted into the colors before it stopped at the edge of the original design.

“See like that just an illusion.  And like you the angel lives in the fourth dimension of the universe, which is what most of us called the trickster dimension because of the creatures living in it.  So in essence you’ve been fooling yourself the whole time.  Kapkre’s and the weeping angels have a closely related relationship in the sense that they both trick humans out of pure pleasure.  But I don’t think you’re bad, no, just different.” I paused, unsure if I was covering everything and most importantly if it was true.  “And how you were wondering about before, about if you could ever be human again.  Technically you can because of the DNA between kapkre’s and humans is so similar, or if you wanted all these memories to go away.  I could fix everything in a simple paradox.”

But I don’t want these memories to go away and they won’t at least for me, but if she wants them gone that’s up to her.  As timelord’s we have legends about the kapkre’s and how their DNA was spliced from humans but no one to my knowledge has ever met one, so therefore I’m the first and sadly the last.

“What?” Clair questioned as she looked up at my, horror apparent on her face.

“Clair there’s one simple thing that comes out of this, you were never human.”

She paused for a moment after grinding her teeth as I’m waiting for her decision in a horribly tense silence.  But as long as I’ve known Clair I know that her decision will most likely add a crack to one of my hearts just as so many have done before. And here’s the words I’ve been expecting;

“Then I want them gone.  I’m sorry Doctor but I can’t deal with this after everything being a lie, but when I meet you again make sure I get to know you because you were truly wonderful.  And I promise I’ll give you a chance and like you said, I won’t say goodbye but act like I’ll see you again.”

.

3 Hours Later

I stood at the edge of the T.A.R.D.I.S console setting up the time vortex to make sure there wouldn’t be any rifts in time and also to guarantee that I can omen back.  This time I won’t interfere with Clair’s life, instead I’ll let her go through the natural course without knowing the memories she used to have and the past life she’ll have long forgotten.

Pulling the final switch, I had a feeling Clair knew that it was her time to go.  As I watched the open door, the sky below us shifted into a mass of colors, replaying all the past moments in our lives.

“Goodbye Doctor, until the next time.”

Clair stood at the edge of the TA.R.D.I.S. door while dangling her legs off the edge, waiting to fall back into time.

“Goodbye Clair, I hope it’s soon.” I forced a smile as I watched her take the final step.

.