19. Please Help

.

Clair

.

“What time do you have on your watch?” The Doctor asked after I nodded.

Always after my answer it takes hours for his response to reach me, that’s the funny/disturbing thing.  No matter how quick he answers back the time to reach me is becoming slower and slower almost as if I am in a different time, like a pocket universe.  Swirling around this one but never quite in sync.

Huh, that seems to be my problem too now that I think of it. “That’s the strange thing I’ve noticed too,” I paused tapping the face of my watch. “It’s been stuck on 12:58 for as long as I can remember since I met you.  Wait, why is this important again?” I am starting to get suspicious of this question.

“Well then, that’s very unfortunate… That even complicates things more ‘cause now my equations are way off.” He drawled out, sounding guilty.

“Wait what?” I asked frantically, now more confused than ever.

“Nothing important Clair, don’t worry about it.” He covered quickly.

Yeah because saying something rather quickly doesn’t make anyone suspicious.  I’m just saying but the Doctor lacks extreme social skills (I have to say that I feel bad for him though).  Sure, we’ve all acted like that BEFORE we realized it doesn’t help the situation at all.

“Meanwhile this is what I’ve been focusing on, there’s been a recent string of disappearances in a small town down the way and I could bet my life it’s something alien and we both know that this situation defies logic.  Mind coming with?  Don’t worry, I’m almost sure I know how to stop the weeping angel.  But you could be a perfect distraction, plus you’re pretty smart (well at least I think so).”

“So basically I’m just a tag-along distraction?” I asked uneasily.

“Not exactly how I would phrase it but if you want to put it that way, basically yes.”

“I can’t get ‘hurt’ right, since I’m not technically living?” I honesty bet I can’t but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

“About that, I’m not really sure.  I mean I don’t think that it’s really possible but it’s up to you if you want to test that.  That might be interesting, testing life versus death.  Sorry, that sounded really bad, I totally didn’t mean that. Whatever I give up…” The Doctor nervously fidgeted despite his VERY excite tone.

“Fine, let’s go.” I huffed, already heading for the door.

I’ve about had it today.  I thought that him noticing me would be a good thing, I mean it is, but it’s starting to get annoying.  Walking towards the door, my footsteps were faint and matching with my disappearing body.  The Doctor just stood there watching as I snapped my fingers to open the door, a smirk playing on his face.

“Oh, that only works for you, huh.” I challenged.

I’ll just try the door then, an acid tone seeping through to my thoughts.  Reaching out my left arm, I found the handle.  Starting to pull on it slightly I abruptly fell backwards, watching my hand slip straight through the handle.

“Fine, you do it then.” I said glaring at the Doctor, even though I doubt he saw my stumble with the out of sync time barriers.

After the Doctor seemed to stare at me through hours, he walked towards the door after snapping his fingers it opened.  Starting to walk through he held it open for the longest time after I had already walked through.  Shutting the door behind him, we started to walk through an empty field overlooking a small town.

“Clair, you’re still here right.  I really hope I didn’t leave you behind, accidentally I mean.” He rushed out.

.

.

The Doctor

To break the silence, which I was really starting to wonder if Clair was there or I left behind, I started whistling as I heard no answer to my previous question.  Looking back over the hill was Clair’s image rising up to step down in a walking motion.  This just gets weirder and weirder by the moment, doesn’t it?

Finally making my decision I decided to stick with my plan of interrogating the locals on recent events.  Keep in mind, the word ‘interrogate’ for me is taken loosely and means that I’ll just end up freaking them out after getting kicked out of town.  But let me tell you, that sure never stopped me.

Reaching the path down Main St. I headed into the quaint restaurant.  Heading up to the bar, I stopped thinking through to what I should say and how it would possibly come off on people.

“Sir, what can I get you today?” A burly man called out, who I assumed was the bartender.

“Water?” I questioned almost wanting to slap myself for being so stupid, and gaping a rather amused look from the man. “And answers.”

“Well then, the second depends on what ya want to know.” The man finished, handing over my drink on the counter.

Settling myself into the wood stool, which in hindsight you can’t really settle into comfortably I continued. “Well it’s simple really, well maybe not, we’ll just see.  I’m here bout Mr. Burton’s disappearance. And my associate and I would like them quickly.”

“Are you okay sir ‘cause there’s sure as hell no on with ya.” Wow, great job Doctor.  How can I be so forgetful?  Oh, wait it must be because I’m 1200 years old.

“Yes well answers quickly, please.” I added as an afterthought of not wanting to sound rude.

“Fine.  Well everything was quite normal until a few weeks ago.  Mr. Burton was what we call a ‘collector’ of strange objects.  Recently he had acquired a statue, quite creepy I might add, and I think he was right about the strange notions.  The thing moved, pure stone I tell-“

“What do you mean by moved?” This was just starting to get interesting.

“You see, one second you would look at it, peaceful smile with it’s hands poised in front of it’s eyes.  But another second after you had looked back, it would move into a grotesque being.  I tried pointing it out once but everyone thought I was crazy cause when I looked again it had that same peaceful smile.” He continued with his pupils dilating from fear.

“I think that’s enough Boris, don’t you.  I don’t think you want to be telling this… man disturbing things.” Another man interrupted, making the bartender who I just found out his name was Boris, he shut up right away.

“No it’s quite alright I would like to hear.” I insisted.

“Sir, it would be better for all of us if you would stay out of this towns affairs.” He commanded before making a motion as if to usher me out of the door.

Standing up I brushed off my jacket, annoyed at his attitude.  Well if this town won’t help me I’ll just have to get the answers on my own.  And with that I started walking out, slamming the door behind me.  I just hate those types, the ones who think they know everything.  If they only knew that I had save their lives hundreds of times they’d be groveling at my feet.

“You okay Doctor?” A soft voice interrupted my dangerous thoughts.

“Absolutely terrific.” I responded forgetting everything, and looking straight ahead to the path on the hill.

You bet I’m alright, just wait and see.

.

Okay that was kind of a filler chapter. Sorry…

Close-ish to my goal, thank you all you beautiful people. (With 700-ish, only 300 more)

I’m Not Okay (I Promise) Erin Xx