Chapter 14

“Call me when your shift is done. I’ll pick you up.”, Travis said once I got off the car.

I held the car door and smiled at him. “I’m off today. I have a date with Jonathan.”

“Get in the car.”, he sternly said as if he was the older sibling there. Was he? I was not even sure anymore.

I held my chuckle and warned him, “Travis…”. He rolled his eyes and sighed.

“Be safe.” I nodded and watched him drove off back to home.

Once I get into the diner, I felt as if everyone’s eyes were on me at that point. I was not sure whether I was imagining things or if that was true but I did not feel good about that.
The last time I was there, I created such a drama that made looking at the name of the diner was more embarrassing than getting caught watching Hannah Montana on your first date.

Avoiding all gazes, I went straight to Joan’s office and knocked on the door before walking in.

“Lillian, hey.”, he greeted me and motioned to the chair in front of him, telling me to take a seat. And so I did.
“Hey, Sir, about yesterday…”, I had not finished my words but he was already smiling at me.

“That’s okay, Lillian.”, he said understandingly. “What the girl said was not exactly friendly either. So you’re fine. However, please keep the drama to a minimum next time, okay?”

I nodded my head yes and smiled at him. “I’m so sorry. I will do my best to never let that happen again.”, he chuckled and shooed me off jokingly.

I was about to leave when he stopped me with his question. “You’re not working today, are you? I thought I saw Shana earlier.”

I smiled and shook my head no, “I’m here as a guest today. I have a date.”
“Fancy. Order the most expensive food in the menu, okay?”

I laughed at his respond and walked to the door. “Thank you again, Sir.”

The night went better than expected. Kyle was nowhere to be found, which was not a big surprise. The customers all seemed to be nice from where I was sitting and all of the staff were surprisingly understanding, that, or they just did not care. Also, Jonathan was not as horrible as he seemed to be. I mean, sure, we had nothing in common, but he was not bad. Overall, the night went surprisingly smooth.

That was until Joan decided to interrupt my awkward date and said, “Lillian, will you drop this off at Kyle’s? He left his stuff yesterday.” He handed me a bag that I knew did not belong to Kyle, filled with one of his favorite t-shirts that I got him.

Kyle. I had to make a stop at Kyle’s. Not only was that two times my already long trip back home, it also happened to be Kyle’s house, and Kyle supposedly lived in that house.

“I will wait for you at my house?”, Jonathan said as he put his jacket on.

I looked back at Jonathan and nodded my head hesitantly. “Okay, sure.”
He leaned in for a kiss and I backed away slightly, shaking my head no. He nodded his head understandingly and left the restaurant, leaving me with a slight smile.

“He’s not even going to drive you?”, Tony asked. I was still in shock myself. Can we even consider that a date?

“Apparently not.”, I sighed. I pulled out my phone and texted Travis, asking him to pick me up. I was officially the worst sister alive. “Why did Joan have to do that?”, I asked Tony, shoving my phone back into my pocket.

“Oh come on, he saved you.”, I rolled my eyes and grabbed the bag that he could easily give to him once he’s back to work.

So much for avoiding the best friend.