Chapter 8

"Babe! You totally missed the fun last Saturday! Everyone was there, even the nerdy Maria!" You guessed right. Hannah bombarded me with all the information from her party that happened while I was having my knee cut opened. A pretty nice way to start the day, I'd say.

"I know I'm so sorry I had another thing to do." I tried to be polite and smiled sadly at her. Well, at least I tried for it to look sad. "I promise I'll make it up to you." Uh-oh why did I say that again?

"Promise?" She begged with a huge grin on her mouth, wide eyes that got me all guilty, and a pinky finger pointed to me. I smiled at her and linked my pinky finger with hers. "Yay! Thank you!" She squealed oh so cheerily. Guess I'd have to make it up to her somehow someday.

She bid Kyle and I a goodbye and skipped through the corridor and disappeared right around the corner.

It's fun to see someone can be that cheery everyday. You know that feeling of being jealous yet relieved at the same time?

"That wasn't nice." Kyle said from behind me and I turned around to pinch his...unpinchable arm.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes and walked towards my locker with him following behind.

"Let's go on a date after school." He said, catching up to my side and staring at me with hope.

When will I stop disappointing my best friend? I'd never be able to answer that question.

"I can't. Got something to do." I frowned at him and he raised both of his eyebrows.

"Which is?" I reached my locker and opened it, ignoring Kyle's question as if letting him know that I won't tell. "Alright. Cue for Kyle to leave Lillian alone." I chuckled at that and he kissed my temple quickly before making his way to his locker that wasn't even that far from mine.

I guess he's starting to understand and God that feels good.

*snap* Someone flashed their camera right in front of my face as I was about to shut my locker close. My hand swatted the camera away from my face in reflect.

"What are you doing?" I asked whoever it was, still trying to open my eyes and adapt with the light. I just hope God loves me enough to make the picture at least decent enough to be seen or just never to be seen by anyone ever.

"I need it." Oh no. I know that voice. "I need your face so my doctor knows what he should do with mine." I sighed as my eyes were well enough to see the...plastic girl in front of me.

Lord, I'm begging you for mercy.

"Honey, you don't want to be me." I said slowly, trying to control myself from yelling at her chin.

"True, but I want that guy that seems to be head over heels toward you." She pointed at my best friend who's currently too busy taking out his books. "So yeah, I want to be you."

I chuckled dryly. "Girl, is he even worth chasing for?" I turned my head around to see him and my question was answered by just the sight of him. Yes, he was worth chasing for. That beauty and kindness, who wouldn't want to be with him? How did I get so lucky? "If he doesn't like you then you deserve someone who does."

"You're saying that because you're just as thirsty for him as he is for you. Now shut up and let me take a good close up picture of you." As she was about to take another picture of me, I grabbed her camera and snatched it from her hand. She's so going to be the death of me.

"No. Stop it. He's my best friend. I love him and I love myself too, so stop doing whatever craziness it is you're doing and let Kyle and I live in peace, okay?" I said sternly, starting to lose my patient at that point.