Chapter 5

"Kyleeee, stoooop!" I swatted his ice cream-covered finger away from my cheek as we were watching Sherlock Holmes in the sitting room downstairs.

For others we might look like a couple of hobos having fun by now with two ice cream containers around us and another one on Kyle's hand and sticky ice cream mess on my face, thanks to Kyle.

"This is booooring!" Kyle whined from beside me, leaning his back to the couch behind us since we were sitting on the ground. "We should've just watched hangover!" He groaned like a kid he is.

You see, Kyle isn't really a big fan of movies that need a little part of his brain to understand but I needed it so bad to keep my mind off of Eli's words and it worked quite well for now.

Until someone opened the front door harshly making both Kyle and I snapped our heads to it where my dad walked in and stomped his feet towards us with fury in his eyes.

Oh no. This can't be good.

"Dad?" I asked, slowly getting up from my comfortable position. Kyle, sensing the tension, stood up from beside me and smiled anxiously at him.

"Mr. Cooper." He said almost inaudibly.

Dad, however, ignored Kyle and stared deadly to my eyes. That was when I know I'm dead.

"You weren't at school. You better have a good enough explanation." He said, glaring at me. There's only one person to blame for this. Yes, Julia.

Too much for forgetting Eli's words.

Before I could open my mouth to explain, Kyle already beat me to it. "She went to the hospital." He said, though dad still kept his eyes on mine and I, him. "Her knees, remember?" Kyle continued as he didn't get any respond.

"Stop being on her side, Kyle. She doesn't go to the hospital. I'm his dad." He said, glancing a mere second at Kyle.

"It's true, though. She went to-"

"I'm asking her!" Dad cut Kyle off, making Kyle took a step back and shut his mouth tight. Dad then stared at me with an eyebrow raised. "So?"

"I did go to the hospital." Hie raised his eyebrow even more, if that was possible. "Kyle told me to." He glanced at a blushing Kyle and back at me, his eyebrows now furrowed. I sighed and stared at Kyle. "Kyle, you can go home. I'll deal with him myself." I told him, feeling indescribably sorry for putting him in that position.

"You sure?" I smiled and nodded my had assuringly. He then took a deep breath before smiling back at me and bidding a goodbye to my dad and I and turned around to leave my house.

"Kyle," I rolled my eyes as dad stopped Kyle's steps right before he could open the door, but then the next words that came out of his mouth surprised not only him. "Thank you." He said, still staring at me. I was trying my hardest to hold back a smile though I know I was failing.

I saw Kyle grinning behind dad and I smiled even more at that. "Anytime, sir." He smiled at me before turning his head back around but then dad stopped him, again.

"Oh and..." He smirked at me before saying his next words that surprised me even more. "Call me Nathan." It felt like my eyes bulged out of their sockets and I knew the same thing happened with Kyle's.

The thing about my dad, is that he never let any of Travis's not my friends to call him by his first name saying it's not polite and all. So that, that was new.

After a few seconds though, Kyle finally opened the front door and left my house. When I was sure Kyle had left, I slapped my dad's chest hard, making him chuckled at it.