Chapter Forty-Six

His dark, stormy eyes tore through her soul, making her week at the knees. She knew her body would buckle under herself if she didn't break the impossible connection raging between the two love interests. She turned her head slightly, braking eye contact. His heart broke, he couldn't even look at her. On his back was the ever present Serpent, the leather sat tight on his skin, almost like it was made for him. He knew it was time to come clean. Clean about everything...

He shook his head slight, running both hands over his face. Almost as if he was trying to wash away all his sins.

"I don't even know where to start..." His voice was quiet, unexpected and guilty. He extended his arm, reaching for her tense shoulder. But as soon as his hand made contact with her skin, she shook him off, Forcing him to take a step back and accept responsibility for what he's done.

A dormant anger arose from the pit inside Betty. But it was a sad anger , the anger the turns from the utter sadness and upset of ones character. 

"How about that your a serpent... that would be a good place to start." Betty tried to sound strong and cold, but it came out sad and broken.

Jughead looked down, his body language said it all- disappointment. He let out a breath of exasperation, shakily. She sat back at the base of her bed, hugging herself.

He sat beside her, half expecting her to shuffle away, but she stayed . She found herself glued to the same spot waiting to hear him out , against her better judgement. She knew she point him back to the window, tell him to crawl back out of it and to leave her. But she couldn't, she loved him. Any chance he could prove himself, Betty was willing to take it. Even if the odd weren't stacked in their favour.

The silence between them was cold and dangerous. He didn't know where to start, what compelled him to this lifestyle , how to explain it to the one person who deserved the truth.

"Why and when?" She asked, her voice found strength. In a way she was happy it was happening here and now. With a sleepy baby in Bettys makeshift nursery (the walk in closet) , she knew she couldn't shout, allowing her to keep a calm demeanour.

"A couple months back, just after my Dad was sentenced. I couldn't stay with the foster folks, and there was no other way of getting bail.."

"- we could of found a way, together. It wasn't worth putting yourself at risk every time you put on that leatherjacket" Betty interrupted, sounding almost like a sob.

"How? How Betty? There was no other way, I've ran through every possible scenario, they all end in my Dad wasting away in that jail cell for at least another five year." He replied, his hands shaking.

Silence grew wildly from the sudden out burst. Bettys nails had pressed firmly into her palms, once again forming an indent.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked finally breaking the silence.

"I didn't want to involve you in all of this. It can get pretty messed up.." He said , using his hand to rub the back of his neck.

"That's the point, Jughead. We are meant to be there for each other no matter what. I should be the one person you can talk too.." Betty said placing her hands behind her on top of the bed to support her body.

He grew quiet at the statement, knowing very well that once again, Betty Cooper was right.

"Trust is meant to be what defines us Jug..." She said, the tone of her voice sad.

"I know , your right... I just wanted to keep my serpent life away from my life with you.. my own form of double life." 

"You cant lead a double life though, that means I only see half of you. The half you want to show me. That's not how this works."