Chapter Forty-Four

The weeks slowly blurred into one another. Polly was eventually released from the hospital, finally being able to be with her children, who were readily situated into their new found routine as she asked. Betty couldn't help but help out, she didn't want to intrude. She knew the babies were Polly's, but in the two weeks they spent together Betty had grown attached to the twins. Surprisingly, as did Jughead. He didn't realise how much he enjoyed sneaking out of his little port hole nightly just to come see  them, not until his visits stopped. He still saw them quite regularly, but not like he used to. Both Betty and Jughead knew they needed to get used to their mother. Something both babies were having an issue with.

Neither child would attach to Polly emotionally, crying until Betty or Jughead were in the room, being the two people the babies had gotten used to and recognised. Nights were the hardest, Betty had practically camped out in Polly's room, helping her with the twins. Although she never ailed it, Betty could tell the lack of the babies need for her got to Polly. For some reason making her feel guilty, pangs in her chest every time she calmed either baby, turning back to look at Polly's heart broken face.

Still both girls were in a period of grievance. Their father, Hal Cooper had been murdered. Their only suspect , the deceased Clifford Cooper. The first week had been the hardest, Betty found refuge in the twins. Polly sought it at Jason's grave, still looking to him for comfort. From an outsiders perspective, it would be easy to mistake them for Bettys own. She was practically their primary care giver, now that School break had come around. 

Jughead had been spending more and more time on the South Side, Betty was always bust with the twins. But he still made the effort, visiting her each day , spending time with the babies. Spending time with her when the babies slept, making sure to keep the bedroom door closed. 

Betty felt awful , he was always the one who instigated everything. Making the effort to visit and spend time with her. Instead of meeting halfway in the relationship, it just felt like he was doing all of the hard work. She knew he was understanding... but it didn't make her feel any less guilty.

Jughead had recently found his own set of issues. He was no longer to fond of his foster parents. They criticised everything he did. He wasn't like their other children, he was quiet and sharp tongued. A quality they did not appreciate. Making Jughead's life a living hell every time he stepped through the door. He didn't share his own issues with Betty, not wanting to add to her own issues. So he kept it bottled up, just waiting to explode.

Alice made her dramatic return to Riverdale in killer heels and a pantsuit, returning to her safe haven. Her office. Printing paper after paper, creating a false story to the Sheriff to keep him happy, returning to normal life. As if nothing had happened. As if her husband wasn't buried six foot under Blossom ground.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Betty sat rubbing Evelyn's back, soothing the sleepy baby. Polly had, once again, walked out of the house after giving up trying to calm the hungry baby. Handing her off to Betty for her own better being. Polly didn't blame her or resent Betty, she just couldn't shake the feeling that the babies weren't hers. She stayed out for hours visiting Jason's grave, eating lunch at Pops, visiting old friends. All to try and escape the reality that was awaiting her at home.

Betty eyes danced from the grandfather like clock that hung on the living room wall to the front door. Jughead should have been there by now, he normally arrived to see Betty at about five n the afternoon on weekdays (between eleven and twelve on weekends and then he would sneak back during the night though a lot more stealthily, now that the reigning queen Alice Cooper was back in town.) It was now gradually reaching six. As the seconds clambered by, Bettys anxiety began to grow.

That was until the door had opened. She sprung to her feet, Evelyn fussed at the sudden movement. Betty bounced up and down, a sad realisation hitting her as the tip  of a black shiny heel emerged from behind the door. Alice had just arrived home from a lengthy shift at the office, bags circled under her eyes.