Chapter Twenty-Five

Bettys sobs were silent. She knew she couldn't show weakness. Not in a place like this. At this point, Jughead came to the realisation that whatever took place in the quaint , dormant room across the hall must of been life changing. Something to affect Betty this bad, it take a lot for her to lose all composition and willingly cry.

He held her tight, biting his tongue, gently swaying their interlocking bodies together. After Betty had chance to let in the information she had just been told, that her parent were now considered to be "missing", she pushed herself off her boyfriends hard, warm chest, composing herself. She was never the type of girl who wanted to discuss her feeling or to delve deeper into the meaning of her relationships, so she was shocked at the thought of herself in the emotional sate as she was.

She cleared her throat and wiped her eyes, his arms still loose around her. She could feel his breath, the warmth and familiarity provided her comfort.

"My parents... they are missing." She whispered so quietly that Jughead had to move his head closer to her lips closing the small gap between them. It was the loudest her voice box allowed, her throat left feeling sore from dehydration.

"What? That's not possible.." Jughead said, his face in shock.

"That's what I said.. but their not answering their phones, they are not at the office and no one has seen them for three days. I know how this sounds don't get me wrong , but I cant help but feel all of this is my fault..." Betty confessed, her eyes wandering.

"What? How can you blame yourself, it has nothing to do with you?" He felt like he kept repeating himself.

"Why didn't I call them Jug... they could be in serious trouble and I could of stopped it all by swallowing my pride and talking to them.... and because of that I have no family left..." Betty blubbered quickly, the tears returning to their ducts.

"Betty your parents did a terrible thing.. there is no denying so don't do this" He voice began to raise."Don't put the blame onto yourself because the rest of the world are monsters, you are the only source of light anyone can find . No matter what gets thrown at you, you can fight through it. Don't let this break you..." He was using his hands to exaggerate his point, finally resting them on hers.

Her face looked almost confused, almost like the hard facts had hit her. She lowered her body to the ground, pulling Jughead down with her. She sat with her leys lying flat against the grey, stone floor forcing the hairs on her arms to stand and her skin to form goose bumps . AS he lowered his body to the ground he spread his legs out around her body. She was sat between his legs, his head resting on her shoulders. Her body slumped back, being supported by the strength of his core. She rested her eyes, finally feeling at peace.

He slowly began to kiss her neck, distracting her. Butterfly wings grazed the walls of her stomach. If anyone were to enter the room at this point they would look insane. Sat on the cold floor tightly embrace with one another. But at least they were insane together.

After along period of methodical silence Jughead finally uttered "What the fuck is going on in our lives?"

Betty pondered a smile creeping on her face at his upfront language. "I guess we will find out. At least it can only get better."

"Ever the optimistic Miss Cooper. It can in fact get worse.. I could be actually convicted or a crime I didn't commit."

Instead of responding to possibility they both dreaded , Betty said "Ever the pessimist Mr jones." Leaving their convocation to a halt.

Together they stayed in grossed in one another, knowing that any minute know a guard was going to rip them apart. Take him to a cell for the rest of the night. Despite arriving here early in the morning, the sky was now verging on darkness, purple highlights alighting the sky. Betty couldn't stand the thought of leaving him here, no more than she could stand the thought of facing going home alone to an empty house. Although she had done it plenty of times, this time was different, this time no one would be following her in late at night. She would be completely and utterly alone. Isolated from the world, no parents to comfort her, no sister to gossip with, no boyfriend to love her.

Loud footsteps clanged down the hall, startling both Betty and Jughead. They released each other from their grips and stood tall and straight. Ready to be taken apart. But before they would , Jughead tapped Bettys shoulder taking her gaze from the door too him.

"Before I go, I want you to know I love you.." Betty lips stretched long and wide.

"I love you too" But as she leaned in too kiss him goodbye, the door bolted open. Forcing her too take a step back from him.

In stepped the Sheriff, both thought he was probably back to gloat and take pride in tearing a wedge between them. The wedge being ten centimetres of steel bars. Yet a solemn, disappointed look resonated upon his face.

"Come on then," Betty turned providing a longing look, a sad smile on her face. She headed for the door to meet with the Sheriff . Jughead stayed where he was.

As Betty was abut to venture out into the hall, the Sheriff dimly argued " You too Jones."

Both Betty and Jughead stopped. There attention held to the sheriff. Jughead's heart stopped.

"What?" Both asked.

"Its your lucky day, someone paid your bail." Jughead's heart stopped as the sheriff held the door open so he could join his girl friend.

Together they walked side by side down the long, narrow hall and into the waiting room. It was empty. Both Archie and Veronica must have been shooed away by officers. Betty felt a strong sense of belief, almost as if she had awaken from a bad dream. Glancing to Jughead, he looked confused. In a state of disbelief.

"Sign here." The sheriff said flatly ,holding out a pen for Jughead to sign his release papers. He stared at it a while, almost expecting it to disintegrate when he touched it.

"Come on kid, I have to get home.." The sheriff stated impatiently. Jughead immediately complied, taking the pen in hand and signing his name.

"Is F.P being released?" Betty asked. Instantaneously making Jughead feel guilty, he hadn't once allowed his Dad to cross into his mind.

"Not today, no one paid his bail." With that he spun on his heels heading back into his office.

Betty put her arm around Jughead as she ushered him towards the side door of the station.

"We can come back for him tomorrow." Betty reassured, Jughead was grateful.

He was the first to step out of the door, Betty following behind. But before she had chance to leave , he stood still not moving . Staring at something, some one. Betty could barley see ut of the small curtained window by the door but she could see clearly enough to tell there were a group of men stood blocking their way.

The South Side Serpents.

"Listen kid, we paid your bail," An older man with white fraying hair confessed , fiddling with something in his hands.

"Why?" Jughead asked, his face in shock.

"We came to pay your Dads bail originally. But when we spoke to him, he asked us to use the money to get you out, we complied with his wishes and here you are." Jughead was in awe of his Father. He couldn't remember the last selfless thing he had done for Jughead, forcing his distance from him to hurt all the more harder.

"You see Jughead, your Dad didn't squeal in there when he could of." Squeal? Why would he squeal on them? They weren't involved in Jason's murder were they? Millions of questions rushed to his mind. " And us Serpents have each others backs, we take care of our own. We would benefit from having someone like you. Its your if you want it." The ageing man held out the object he had been fiddling with. A black, leather Serpent jacket and handed it to Jughead.

Jughead stared at it like it had a life in its own. He felt like the only one outside at the time.

"Juggie.." Betty quietly whispered from the inside of the door. Forcing him to snap his neck up, he forgot she was there. The look on her face said it all. He was in the state of two minds.

He had a big decision to make.