Chapter Twelve

Together, the pair trailed across the school car park. Dogging cars  as they swerve around the four corner entrances. Betty knew her flawless reputation and grades would not fail her now, her dark, devious side only ever shone through when she wanted something. And right now she wanted to see if her best friend was truly capable of murder. Every one would assume she's ill and school would never follow up. If anyone saw them, she already had an explanation- it was a "Blue and Gold" organised research trip, fully approved by school.  While Betty had spent the fast paced walk to the deep green field awaiting the land beyond Riverdale High completely obsessing over what she was doing and questioning her own state of mind, Jughead hadn't passed a second thought on the matter. All he was concerned about, was how impressed he was of Betty's courage. The Betty he thought he knew would never be this impulsive or spontaneous, he liked it. Realistically, he liked learning new things about her, it made him feel apart of her life - something he never truly felt before. Once an outsider , never an outsider.

They stopped the pace of their slow jog and began a median stroll across the wet, damp grassy lands of The Riverdale meadows. A loud ringing sound screamed out from behind them, the rest of the school was preparing to attend first period, Jughead and Betty were going on mutable investigation that can only end in pain or leads them back to square one.

A soft breeze blew against the, blowing loose hairs along their faces .

"Do you know the way to his house?" Although Riverdale was a small town , Jughead didn't have many experiences with social interactions and was prone to staying at his three locations:

.The drive-in

.Pops diner

.Archie's house

Well know possibly the Blue and Gold hollow and Betty's bedroom. Two new additions he liked very much.

"Yeh, its just around the corner. Sheriff Keller will be at the station."

"So we are free to snoop with little care and obedience ," Jughead replied.

"Exactly.." Betty replied ,her worrying demeanour shedding through to her voice.

They had finally reached the end of the never ending grassy ocean, allowing their feet to rest upon solid, hard pavement. Taking a sharp left, they wandered down the street that held the Keller house. With experience, Jughead knew they shouldn't be doing this during the day, despite knowing everyone is either at work, asleep-it was only seven thirty in the morning, awaiting the town hall meeting(of which the sheriff will reside in after his morning drop off at the station)or too busy to care about two suspicious teenager who may or may not be a couple(that question had already been made up within Jughead's mind). There was still a running risk of witness' or possible spotting from any cameras sheriff Keller may have placed upon the roof of his home. It was a common known fact that none of the multiple cameras strung to the lamppost in and around Riverdale actually worked, they were purely for show. However a sheriff infiltrating a murder investigation may be a little more weary.

But he didn't want to halt Betty when she was acting in such an impulsive manor, on the rare occasion this happens, Jughead knows they find something big.

As they reached the end of the chipped path, they reached a huge four bedroomed escapade.

The Keller house hold.

The abnormal, unpredictable pair turned to one another.

"Are we really doing this?" Betty let out a stiff laugh,

"Yeh, I guess we are." Jughead smirked. "It will be okay, I'm here with you..." Jughead said supportively, noticing Betty's viable discomfort.

"Yeh, I have the notorious criminal of Riverdale by my side, nothing could possibly go wrong.." Jughead slipped his hand into hers firmly. As they started the short walk up the steep , narrow stairs leading directly to the front door.

Reaching the door, neither of the pair had any idea what to do. They didn't think this far through their unanticipated investigation.

"Look under the mat for a spare key.." Betty ordered. Jughead complied. No key was to be found.

As Betty was about to give up and return to school with her tail between her legs, she noticed the oval window between the first and second floor , above the stair case was slightly open.

"Give me a boost.." Betty pointed to the window. A unapprovingly look surpassed Jughead's face.

"You have got to be kidding me, I'm not going to let you hurt yourself."

"I wont, I promise. Caring boyfriend looks good on you by the way.." The words passed her lips before Betty could process them.

Jughead let out a strong smile in response, calming Betty's nerves.

" Trust me , I like it too" He said, quickly pecking Betty on the lips. " The things we do for this case," He exclaimed moving out his hand awaiting Bettys foot.

Betty placed her foot upon his hand and reached for the window and successfully mounted herself onto the window, climbing through it. Jughead waited patiently for Betty to re appear, and when she did an uncontrollable smile appeared upon his face, once again she had that affect on him. She unlocked the door and showed him inside.

They both headed directly up stairs, hunting down Kevin's bedroom. The furthest door directly opposite the stairs held Kevin's fortress. Simultaneously, they both began hunting down every corner of the cream bedroom. He was a surprisingly neat person, opposing his personality.

They searched behind the headboard, under the bed , in the drawers, in his bag. But nothing prevailed.

"Hes clean , lets check the sheriffs study.." Jughead admitted in defeat, heading towards the door. Betty followed, an unsettling feeling in her stomach, She dropped her head in defeat, her eyes wandering to the misplaced rug toward the far corner of Kevin's bedroom.

"Wait..." Betty said, Jughead pouncing back into the room.

Walking towards the rug, Betty fell onto her hands and knees, peeling back the rug. Revealing a slice in the carpet. Jughead, who was now similarly on his knees, turned his head to Betty sharing a look of distress. Betty took a deep breath and slipped her hand into the slit. Feeling around, she felt a solid lump. Her fingers tingled as she felt the object.

She pulled it out.

"What the hell is this?" Jughead asked, genuinely confused. As he began to question why Kevin would hide a perfectly good phone inside the insulation of his bedroom

" Its a burner phone." Jughead realised. " Kevin's defiantly got something to hide."

Betty began reading through the pile of letters, astonished at what she was learning. Her stomach felt like it dropped one hundred miles. Her face drained of all colour.

"What is it, Betty?" Jughead asked wanting to relive her of her burden.

"These .... They are love letters.... between Jason and Kevin!"