Chapter Forty

Betty sat in class. Day dreaming, she was already further ahead than ever in all her subjects so she wasnt missing out. The class was submerged in silence reading from an obscure play involving two middle aged people starting life fresh. Betty had already read the play , so she sat fiddiling with her pen, focused on screwing and unscrewing the lid. That was until the announcement alarm rang, almost knocking Betty out of her seat.

All students looked up, unexpectantly.

"Hello students of Riverdale High, today we have a very serious message delivered by  the Sheriff  regarding  a specific case. I will hand over to Sheriff Keller now.." Principle Wetherby rhymed off, clearly rehearsed.

An odd noise present in the handing over of the mic flamed through the speakers.

" Hello students. Today I am here to discuss with you a serious matter that has been circulating throughout town. We understand your parents are becoming ever so and understandably nervous about allowing their children to walk to and from school unsupervised so early in the morning to some cases of late nights. As well as their children being away from them, unprotected." A sombre feeling fell over Betty dampening her mood, all this message had provided her was the realisation that she had no one at home who cared about her.

It also brought a dark subject into her mind. If her parents are still out there , didn't they care about her? Why did they leave her? Why didn't they take her with them? Instead they left her alone with no one to fight in her corner.

"We feel safe to guarantee to you that all students will be supervised, an officer always on site while the killer is still at large. There is also another issue I wish to discuss with you all... Last night my office was broken into." Bettys heart stopped, how did they know they were there? Was there any cameras that herself and Jughead didn't see?

"The whole investigation and key pieces of evidence were stolen." 

Bettys foot fell in her mouth. Some one must have followed them . Catching on to what they were up to. Possibly even trying to frame them..... Bettys mind wandered.

" If anyone has any information involving this criminal offense of disrupting the investigation, should come forward immediately. With holding information is a crime in itself." The sheriff wandered on, Betty chest felt tight. Her breathes constricted. Sweat formed around her brows.

Before Betty could process what was happening the end of day bell rung loudly. Huddles of students instantly emerging from their desks and heading straight for the door.

Betty followed, her head else where, outside of her body.

She headed straight for the exit. These days she hasn't needed to wait around for anyone. Jughead's gone ,obviously. Archie was still in hospital, improving but still on strict bed rest. Veronica never left his side, she was happy her best friend had someone who cared about him so dearly. Kevin had ended their friendship, after he found out he was considered a suspect in their case he was furious. Instantly cutting all ties with her, leaving her heart in two. She needed her lovable friend on days like this. Cheryl was still granted school absence considering both of her parents had past in the same week.

Betty walked the halls daily alone, in her own world.

Yet another place she was now alone.

She fumbled for her phone, scavenging for Jughead's number.

She texted him to meet her at Pops urgently.

She sat at Pops ordering herself a milkshake waiting for him to come. Ready to pour her heart out. Today had been hard. She had never felt more alone, she had an altercation with Chuck sending her even further on edge. She needed him more than ever.

She sat with her classic vanilla milkshake. Waiting for him. 

But he never showed. 

She had waited for three hours, texting him. He had initially replied saying he would be there. But that was hours ago and she had received no more texts.

She was well aware of how she looked. The desperate girls alone who had been stood up and didn't want to admit it. After a few pity glances she have in. Collecting her bag and wandering home. The walk was long and dousing. The sky purple , making her feel blue.

She dabbled with the idea of visiting Archie and Veronica but recognised that they needed space to be a couple. And at this hour, Archie probably wasn't up for visitors.

Her mind floated back to what would normally be her next route. To Kevin. But that wasn't an option. So she forged on home.

A melancholy motion washing over her. All she wanted now was everything to go back to the way things were. Two months ago... when life seemed at its best. Archie hadn't possibly damaged his spine, jeopardising his future ; Veronica wasn't a hot mess, even though it was understandable; Kevin was still her right hand man; and Jughead was always by her side.

Because as much as she would hate to admit and would never say to Jughead himself. She was scared. Their worlds were slowly drifting apart, their visits becoming less and less frequent. From the countless romance novels she had read, she knew what it meant. That they were drifting apart, that it was normal for them to want to move on with their new lives and stop living in the past.

The thought killed Betty. It was the last thing she wanted , to say goodbye to him. Then she would have no one in the world. And although she was aware it was probably her mind trying to create the worst possible situation for her, she was terrified that it was how Jughead felt. 

That he wanted to start fresh with his new family, his new school, his new life. One that didn't involve her. She kept reminding herself that this was a wild conclusion to jump to from the fact that he missed one meeting. But she couldn't help it, all the thoughts she had been hiding and pushing to the back of mind were surfacing and stronger than ever.

She kept glancing down at her phone, hoping that the screen would brighten providing an explanation, but it did no such thing. She want going to text him any more tonight, she wasn't going to make herself seem desperate.

Maby this was how it was going to be from now on, herself on her own. No family, no friends, alone as usual.

It was times like this she missed her Mom and sister, as terrible as they could be they were always there for her. Her heart strings tugged as she walked up to her door.

She felt the handle, pushing down slightly to gain her balance. It opened.

Did she forget to lock it before school?

Her worst fears entered her mind , scary thoughts invading. She headed for the kitchen, when she heard a rustle of movement from the sitting room. Taken back slightly she grabbed a knife, knowing very well she wouldn't know how to use it. But she needed something to protect herself with.

She slowly tread down the hall, her body positioned in a stance mode, ready to attack. 

She braced herself, slowly dancing her way into the sitting room . It was pitch black. And most importantly empty as far as she could see. 

She let out a sigh of relief, the hair on the back of her neck returning to normal. She rubbed her head, annoyed with herself. Letting her mind play tricks on her.

Suddenly a bright lamp brightened the room without explanation. Forcing Bettys eyes to squint from the harsh change.

The lamp was by the old arm chair in the furthest corner behind Betty. And sat in that chair was someone heavily unexpected.

A heavily pregnant Polly Cooper.

Betty was taken back, speechless.

"Polly?" Betty uttered, almost positive she was unconscious.

"No time to talk Betty. I need your help!"

She wasn't so alone anymore.