Chapter Forty-Five

That night Betty didn't get much sleep. She received an explanatory text message from Jughead , scrambling up an excuse that another "family night" kept him held hostage within the four walls of his foster home. She tossed and turn, thousands of thought ran through her messy mind that night. She found herself waiting for either baby to scream out for her, giving her mind some form of blissful release from the agonising pity and self doubt that proclaimed her.

The next day she awoke to a crib immaculately set up in the far corner of her room. Inside was none other than baby Evelyn, the smaller child. The baby who was a harder handful. She slept soundly, a cotton rabbit firmly pressed against her chest.

That night prior , Betty had decided enough was enough. Polly needed help, and her mother judging her was not going to provide it. She knew two babies would be far to extreme for Polly to handle at first, so she took Evelyn in. Moving her residence into Bettys room, leaving Mason with Polly- the baby who almost slept soundly through the night. Polly had survived the night, with little panic. It was a good start. 

It was originally an excuse to calm Bettys nerves after arriving home frenzied and delirious after finding out her boyfriend was a member of the infamous gang of Serpents who lurked the streets late at night.

The thought still puzzled her. How could he have kept this from her? How long had he been a member? Why did he join? Considering all the negativity he implied surrounded it..

The following days she convinced her mother to comply to Jughead that she was sick, unsafe for visitors. She knew that wouldn't keep him away long, but it was long enough for her to wrap her mind around the situation.

She couldn't bring herself to look at him without picturing that green snake sliding up his back and around his neck. She would have no way to address him, she couldn't act like things are normal, could she? Not when she sees him as sweet and supporting by day, crime infested mischief on wheels by night.

Her heart ached at the fact the only secure and wholesome part of her life was swept up from under her feet.

It had been three days since she last spoke to him. Since she realised that she didn't know who he was. Polly was coping, on the brink of an early mid life crisis. The smallest thing would set her off .One including the lack of formula circulating the Cooper home.

"Where is all the formula?" Polly cried out , her head under the kitchen sink.

" In the pantry , I bought some fresh the other day.." Betty shouted back, her attention surrounding baby Mason.

"Well there is none. We're out!" Polly exclaimed, her voice full of emotion.

Betty knew she couldn't tip Polly over the edge, not when she was doing so well.

"I will go to the store and get some. Do you think you will be okay? Evelyn will be asleep for at least another three hours." Betty called walking to meet her sister.

She looked indecisive. Like she might regret the decision she was about to make. She half heartedly nodded. Giving Betty permission to walk straight out the door, back to civilisation. Somewhere she hadn't been in three days.  

The quaint corner store a few turns from Pops was quiet, deserted even. The only assurance that the world had not been divulged into an unknowing apocalyptic state was the trusting old man by the counter. Sat minding his own business, newspaper in hand. Only shifting his gaze the slightest when Betty walked through the two transparent, glass doors.

Not allowing herself to get distracted by the multiple magazines with only the finest gossip, or the colourful range of delicious chocolate treats on a huge stand by the entrance, Betty headed straight for the formulae. Not wanting to leave Polly in a state of constant distress longer than she needed to.