Family Night.

►Jasmine

Not too long after Calvin and I got together, he had to go off on a business trip. Surprisingly, that went well. I expected to be extremely lonely without seeing him everyday but I had done it before, which I'm pretty sure helped me out.

Cal and his mom have been talking everyday since he got back. They've really built their relationship back up. It makes me happy to see him happy, and his mother is extremely proud of him. How he has managed to get a stable, money making job that wasn't putting his life in danger. They started talking more about moving her to this area with us, and so they've been looking at houses. They seem to both be looking forward to it. I believe they're trying to make it happen in two weeks.

As far as Layce, she's happy Calvin is around more. We haven't told her anything about the relationship because since she's so young, we don't want her to be really confused if something ends up not working. If everything continues going well for maybe another few weeks, we're going to tell her, probably around the time Cal's mom moves up, since I imagine it'd be just as confusing if her mom just had a guy over every day without a connection. I don't want her growing up thinking that's how life should be.

"Hey." Calvin said, walking through the door.

I turned and smiled as he kissed me, "Hey."

Layce and I were at the table eating. I had today off and decided to spend it with her. It did mean I kept her out of preschool, but one day won't hurt. We had a nice mommy-daughter day at the mall. I got her a few new shirts, a pair of shoes because her old ones were too small, and then let her get her nails done.

"Hey Cal." Layce said, smiling hard.

He smiled back and walked towards her, giving her a big hug. I loved the way he was with her, his fatherly side was natural. I honestly couldn't wait for us to one day have a child together.

"What's for dinner? I smell something good." Calvin asked.

"Me and mommy made spaghetti." Lay cheesed. "It's almost done."

Calvin laughed again as he sat down.

"It's in the oven right now so the cheese can finish melting, then there is garlic bread, too."

Calvin and I didn't live together yet, but he always came over for dinner, and usually stayed the night. There were some nights he would go back home, but that was mostly so Layce wouldn't be too curious just yet. Although, I still don't think she's thought anything of it.

We ate and then started a movie, which Layce fell asleep halfway through. Calvin carried her to bed, and then he and I fell asleep cuddled on the couch. Thankfully, it was a Friday night, so no one needed to be up the next morning.

--

// three weeks later //

 I had an appointment today to check in with the baby. It's a little girl, and she's doing great.

As much as I was glad Cal was excited about her, I was still disappointed that Josh was showing no interest whatsoever. Even though we weren't together it was still his baby. I just don't feel like it would be fair for my second child to have no connection to her father, when my oldest has a connection with hers. Especially since they have the same father. I'm only about three months now, so he still has a little while to come around and change his mind. 

After a little while of stressing over finding decent places for Calvin's mom to live, we found a way to settle it. 

Calvin and I moved in together, and his mom moved into his old house. We left his name on the property title, but she just gives him the money to pay it monthly. We figured that way would work considering if him and I do work out, we're together in a house already. If we don't, then he still has his old place to go back to. He also managed to find her a well-paying job since she wanted to work again. I was proud of how much their relationship came back together, he was really worried about it before.

We also decided to go ahead and tell Layce, she was beyond excited even though I don't really think she entirely grasped the meaning of what I said. We also went ahead and told her about the baby, since she hadn't seemed to have noticed. She couldn't wait for a little sister, and kept insisting her name be Michaela. 

She was currently with her dad considering I had been going on the trips to help Calvin's mom move. I felt like that would be a lot of back and forth for her, so I made arrangements. She was always excited to go to her dad's house. She always told me how much fun she had. Now, it was starting to get to me a little more because my new daughter might not have that.

A text came through from Josh, distracting me from my thoughts.

'Hey, what's up?'

Did I even want to reply? The last time I did that we ended up getting back together. Even just texting him for a certain period of time makes me remember why I used to like him and I get caught in feelings again. Lord knows that's not what I want now that I have Calvin.

I set my phone back down and walked to the kitchen to make something for lunch. It was just me at home right now considering Calvin was at work. I missed being at work sometimes, being in the house gets so lonely, but the doctor told me that would be safest right now because even though I'm only a few months along, I've been having bad cramps that feel like premature labor. 

I was in the mood for a sub, but didn't feel like making one so I slipped on some shoes and went to Subway.

Calvin

My mood the passed few days has been just at the top. I have my mom back around, I have Jas, everything just seems to be getting good. I know the good always comes with bad though, but I've been trying my best to keep my head up. I can't help but feel like now that I have Jasmine and my mom, I'm about to lose one of them.

It was time for me to get off work, so I dropped by the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner. I wasn't entirely sure what to get so I pulled out my phone and planned a quick dinner menu. I settled on grilled chicken breast with pasta. After I had everything, I got ready to go pick up my mom since she was joining us tonight. I had been wanting a family dinner with her and Jasmine for a little while now, but everything was still getting settled down.

I had pretty much told my mom everything when she and I had first met up again, so there weren't a lot of questions happening for dinner. Other than a few questions about Layce and Jasmine's baby, it was just casual talk. I never even had that growing up. My mom was always busy trying to get the kids to settle down and eat, then bathe them and get them to bed, so we never really had time to do anything as a family. It was nice to enjoy that.

--

After dinner my mom stayed for a little while to get to know Jasmine more. We ended up playing a few games and laughing a lot. I hoped this was something that would continue happening for a little while. I took my mom back home and that's when the bad news came in.

My mom had just walked inside, when my phone went off. It was a text from Jasmine saying she needed to go to the hospital. I wasn't entirely sure what was happening, but I didn't think it was good. I knew it wasn't good. Especially with the problems Jasmine has been having.

I quickly picked her up and we went to the hospital. I hoped nothing was really wrong and she was just having more pains. They wouldn't let me in the room with her right away, so I sat in the waiting room calming down a concerned Layce, who was soon fast asleep.

"Calvin Bryant."

I heard my name and sat up, realizing I had fallen asleep.

"Sir, you are able to go into the room with Jasmine now if you would like."

I nodded and picked up Layce, then made my way to the room. I saw a couch when I got in there and layed Layce down. She fell right back asleep.

"How you feeling?" I asked Jasmine.

"Better now, they gave me medicine to help calm the pain. They said it was the baby. Her heart rate dropped and my body was trying to help. I have to stay for a night or two so they can monitor us both." A concerned look grew across her face, "Calvin, I'm scared for the baby."

I hugged her a little more and kissed her forehead, "It's going to be okay. You're both strong."

She moved over a little and I sat with her until she fell asleep. I got up to check on Layce every now and then, and had placed pillows on the floor by the couch in case she fell.

This definitely wasn't the way I imagined my great family night to end.