Chapter 3

Waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, Incendia falls back into the bed with a groan. It is always the same dream, the dream of when she ventures into the summer kingdom, Phice. And just as the stories they've been told as a child, she dies. Fire and ice don't mix. When ice is put on fire it melts. We are ice, they are fire. They feel the same as the Winter kingdom, stay out of each other's way and don' trust each other. You can't trust fire.

Dozing back off to sleep, Incendia realizes that she left her shoe in her father's study. She debates on not getting the other slipper, but the thought of wearing one of the other shoes that constantly pinches her feet, encourages her to swing her feet from her warm, soft bed and step onto the hard, icy floor.

Taking care not to wake Vidar, Incendia lights a candle and slips out of her chamber and into the hallways. As stands outside the door to her father's study she hears murmered voiced coming from the staircase on her left.

Strange, it must be around three AM, who would be up this late? Incendia begins slowly making her way up the stairs when one of the steps creaks loudly and the murmering voices waver to a halt. Incendia blows her candle out and presses herself against the wall by the staircase, leaving herself in utter darkness.

The darkness is soon broken, when the door above the staricase open, with her brother, Matteo looking out for the source of the creak. Incendia stays completely still until her brother looks over his shoulder and shakes his head and shuts the door behind him. Incendia waits a few more beats before continuing silently up the stairs towards the room, where her brother left the door open just a crack. Leaning in, Incendia sees a map of the different lands spread out on a table, where five men, including her father and eldest brother are gathered around. 

"Where are the opposing troops entering from?" Her brother, heir to the throne asks. His voice ringing with authority.

"Right here sir, and our troops plan to enter this way." A short balding man nervously answers.

Troops? Opposing sides? What is happening in this land and how has it gone unnoticed?

"When will our men be ready to fight?" My father asks this time, directing his question towards a lanky boy not much older than Incendia.

"Our troops can fight at any time, but if wewait until after Princess Incendia's ball, our flanks will be stronger and faster." He says in a reedy voice.

"Then it is settled, the day following Icendia's party, we will go to war against Pharor." Her Father says with a nod of confrimation from his heir.

Incendia stiffles a gasp and runs as quickly and silenty as she can back to her room, where she lies in bed letting what she heard run through her mind.

Kalel hasn't been at war for years, the last one was fifty two years ago completely severing ties with the Summer Kingdom. But war with the Pharorians will be savage, they are the outsiders. They only destroy, and take. The wars fought between the kingdoms look like get togethers or tea time compared to a war with the outsiders.

Incendia spends another hour imagining the horrible and graphic images that will ensue when this war takes place. Eventually she falls into a fretful sleep where blood is all she dreams about.

********************

The next two weeks fly by between dance lessons, and learning about all the eligible bachelors that will be attending the ball, in addition to Incendia sneaking off after dark to practice her other "skills". Skills that were meant for a man, like the bow and arrows, swordsmanship and riding her raven black hourse, Kai.

However, although she was kept occupied, it didn't stop Incendia from replaying the conversation she overheard that night. She is almost positive that her brother is aware she knows something, he has caught her staring at him one too many times for far too long. She can only avoid him forever, but she doesn't need forever, only enough time to sort out her feelings and thoughts. She is concerned for their well being, she is confused about why there is a war happening and mainly she is outraged that no one has told her. Nearly two weeks since they have begun finalizing the war plans, and nothing not a mention, not even a whisper. Was she not to be trusted? Did her youngest brother Elijahh know? Was he aware because he did what father asked, because he is gentle and hates conflict? Just thinking about it, gets her fuming again. Her mother always jokingly said that if it wasn't for Incendia's vivid scarlet red hair, she wouldn't have such a temper. Her mother always said that her gray eyes always looked as though a storm was coming when she is upset, the angrier Incendia is the darker the eyes; one always knows when she isn't angry anymore because they turn into a clear gray, just like a storm that has past.