Words of the Hearth

Ch.32

Reyna tried to run at the Titan but Kronos suddenly looked up, his eyes flashing and she froze in her place.

"Now, now," he chided as Reyna struggled to move but remained frozen in time. "None of that girl. The rest of you will die soon enough but this one gets my personal attention."

He smiled sadistically and raised his scythe to kill Percy when a murmuring rose up from the monster army. Kronos turned as the monsters parted in the middle and a dark figure strode down the aisle between them. The monsters hissed and recoiled as the figure radiated power and death, causing the bravest in the Titan Army to try and slink away from her.

Kronos' eyes flashed with anger as he saw the figure.

"I don't think that was part of our arrangement, my lord." A feminine voice said coldly as Hel approached the Titan hovering over Percy's pinned body. "The boy belongs to me."

"This does not concern you goddess. You said you're monster would destroy the boy and you failed. I am doing what you are apparently incapable of. Now know your place and fall back beside the lesser beings in my army." Kronos' voice was full of contempt as he looked murderous at being questioned in front of his army and the army of demigods in front of Olympus.

Hel stopped a few feet away from him and looked down at Percy, an amused smile gracing her ghoulish face.

"My place?" She asked calmly. Her face showed no fear as she stood before the Titan Lord. "I'm afraid my place is where I say it is. I had thought I would let you continue your little childish vendetta to destroy those meager Olympians who so easily dethroned you eons ago but it appears you've let your arrogance annoy me. That is something you will soon regret son of Uranus."

Kronos' face turned a purplish shade of red as he removed his foot from Percy's chest and turned to face the Norse goddess.

"You foolish goddess," he growled. "I am a Titan, you are a mere goddess. You will bow down before I strike you down."

Hel just stood before the Titan. Her face was a mask of indifference. She didn't even seem to acknowledge the fact that she stood before the most powerful Titan in existence. No fear, no nervousness, nothing. Then again, half her face was skeletal so determining her moods was not exactly easy.

The tension in the street was so thick it could be felt by both demigod and monster alike. The two powerful beings stood only a few feet apart but both seemed to be waiting for the other to waver. After a minute, Hel just smiled at him, "Such arrogance you Titans have, it is no wonder you were destroyed by your children. You should know that I am not one of your children, you have no idea the things I can do."

Kronos' eyes flashed again and he raised his scythe, "I am immortal. I have escaped Tartarus, I cannot be killed."

A low growl was heard from behind the Titan as a giant hound materialized out of nothingness. Before Kronos could even turn, the monster lunged, knocking him into the pavement. Kronos bellowed and a light erupted from the Titan, blasting Garmr into the crowd of monsters. Just as the Titan made to stand, he suddenly froze in his spot, a look of genuine fear on his face.

Hel stood beside the Titan but held a spear in her hand, the tip placed on the Titan's side in a place just under his armpit. Armor covered the spot but it would not be a challenge for a goddess to pierce it and reach the skin underneath.

"So foolish," Hel chided. "I was the one who prepared the boy to host you. I told him where to bind himself to his mortality."

"Attack her!" Kronos bellowed to his minions but no monster or demigod moved an inch. A look from the Norse goddess, her skeletal face daring them to try, kept them rooted in their spots.