Well, I Didn't See That Coming

Ch. 9

Percy stood at the entrance to Camp Jupiter. He looked behind him to see Frank lumbering his way towards him with less than graceful steps. He wondered if it had been a mistake to choose Frank as his other companion. He was awkward and clumsy and showed less than stellar wits on the battlefield during their experiences together in the war games at camp.

As Frank approached him, Percy saw something that halted his previous doubts when it came to Frank. It was a genuine smile that was filled full of nervousness but also full of gratefulness. It wasn't easy for a legionnaire to get a quest at Camp Jupiter so proving their worth was often a long and difficult process. This was undoubtedly the biggest break Frank had ever gotten since learning he was demigod and while others might think themselves entitled, one look at Frank's face showed just how much he appreciated be chosen for this.

Then he also remembered the other reason he chose Frank other than to help his friend out. He trusted Frank. Since his first day and Frank's awkward introduction and greeting with the supposed son of Venus, he hadn't treated him differently because of who he thought his parents were or for how he acted in the coliseum. He judged Percy on how he acted around him, something that no one, not even Jason, had done from the start.

Jason was his other best friend since joining the legion and would have been his first choice but he was more than content with Frank as plan B.

He looked down at his wrist where the gray bracelet sat looking inconspicuous and harmless, if not a little peculiar, and he remembered the warning from his adoptive mothers. He knew his time remaining incognito was running low and Frank was one of the few people who might still give him a chance and keep his secret if he knew his reason for deceiving the Romans and entering under false pretenses. Frank may be awkward and clumsy but Percy learned he was actually quite intelligent even if he didn't often show it in fear of looking foolish or being rebuked by the other Romans. He would hopefully see why Percy did what he did and realize he had little other options.

He was broken out of his thoughts as the plump cheeked legionnaire came to a halt beside him, a look of concern etched into his features.

"Are you sure about this Jack? There's still time for you to pick someone else, someone who might be a better asset to you on this quest."

Percy's expression darkened a bit as Frank was again letting his insecurities guide the words that left his mouth.

"Frank," he said calmly. "Shut that big ass mouth of yours."

Frank looked slightly appalled by his response but Percy held up a hand to stop him from replying.

"I did not choose you out of sympathy or because you're my friend. You're a good Roman, one who only lacks the confidence needed to reach his full potential. You might be a son of Mars but I've seen you with that bow and you would give the Apollo children a run for their money any day of the week. You're smart and I trust you more than I trust anyone else in the legion. Stop acting like you don't have just as much if not more of a right than anyone else to be here. I chose you because you are who I want, someone who can cover mine and Reyna's backs in battle. What better than a skilled archer to cover us while we handle the close quarters combat? Stop doubting yourself because if you do it again I'm going to put my foot so far up your ass that you'll be spitting out my shoelaces."

Frank's eyes widened a bit but a small smile tugged at his lips.

"Alright, thank you Jack."

Percy shook his head, "Don't thank me. This isn't a trip to the amusement park. We're heading into what could be the most dangerous place on earth. Get focused Frank because one slip up and you may not make it back to camp at all. This isn't the war games, this is real. We screw up, we most likely die. I'm not trying to scare you but this isn't a reward for you, it's a responsibility and one you must take seriously."