Crumbling

Ch. 31

Unfortunately, Percy's supposition about the state of things had been an accurate one. As he and Jason flew higher, they got a bird's eye view of the situation.

And it was not good.

The 59th Street Bridge was overrun with monsters. A battalion of demigods and hunters were doing their best to slow them down, but the bridge was lost.

The same went for every other bridge and tunnel that they could see. The defenses were crumbling, simply unable to hold off the superior numbers of the Titan Army.

"We're too late." Jason said dejectedly. He had gotten used to letting Percy carry him through the sky, though he used the winds to lessen the weight of him as they flew.

"We need to buy them some time. They need to fall back and regroup. We cannot let them overrun our defenses. We have to hold them off until they can set up a perimeter around the Empire State Building."

Jason shook his head in dismay, "How?"

"Remember the battle at Camp Jupiter? Just like that. We do it together, two sons of lightning. We can hold them long enough for the others to retreat. We have to."

Jason didn't even need to answer. The steely look of determination that appeared on his face was answer enough.

The two demigods dropped from the sky as if they had been thrown from a plane. When they were thirty feet off the ground, a gust of wind swept in from underneath them, slowing their descent enough for the drop to feel like it was a mere couple feet rather than several hundred. They touched down beside a couple hunters who were firing arrows as fast as their little immortal hands would let them.

"Get everyone back. The entrances are all falling. We need to regroup and set up a perimeter around the Empire State Building. Tell someone to spread the word, we must fall back!" Percy ordered to a huntress who paused her assault long enough to nod her head grudgingly, obviously not a fan of being told what to do by a man.

Percy and Jason charged past the retreating demigods, a mix of Romans and Greeks who were doing everything they could to hold the endless enemies at bay.

Jason ran straight up to the hood of a car, using it as a launch pad as he threw himself straight into a Laistrygonian whose attention was on a wounded Roman. Before the giant could finish the demigod off, an Imperial Gold blade pierced his chest and Jason rode the blade as it slid down its chest, opening up a huge and gaping wound before the monster exploded into a plume of monster dust.

Jason stumbled as he hit the ground, the dust getting in his eyes and blinding him. He managed to clear it just in time to see a spear being thrust toward his chest. Inches from his body, the weapon stopped and the demigod wielding it flew back into a trio of Hellhounds.

Percy held up his hand and caught Mjolnir as it flew back to his hand. He raised it to the sky and thunder boomed overhead. A bolt of lightning dropped from the heavens and hit the weapon just as Percy slammed it into the chest of a Cyclops. The monster blew into dust and showered the surrounding enemies in its remains.

Percy tossed the mighty hammer to the ground in front of him and unsheathed Anaklusmos. An enemy demigod dove at the hammer and tried to pick it up only to find he couldn't even move it. Just as he realized that this had been Percy's plan, a bronze sword decapitated him in one fluid motion. Percy stepped forward and kicked Mjolnir hard with his foot. It flew as if it were a soccer ball into an Empousai and sent her flying back into the legs of a Hyperborean Giant, sending it crashing to the ground, crushing a handful of Kronos' baddies in the process.