Chapter Four: Falling in Love

Dexter and I sat in the waiting room. I went to the snack machine and got a bag of chips. I turned around when I heard some shouting. I turned just in time to see Kyler punch Dexter in the face. I left the chips and ran over to them.

I yelled, “What the fuck Kyler?” I helped up Dexter. Kyler was staring at me confused and…relieved. Suddenly he pulled me into a hug. I pushed him away, “What the hell? You can’t punch him Kyler! He is a freaking minor!”

Kyler said, “I thought he hurt you. Nana called and said I was needed at the hospital and that she was in the ambulance with you. I thought-”

I cut him off, “Dammit Kyler! I told you he isn’t like that so drop it! I was in the ambulance with her because she broke her leg and was on the kitchen floor for 2 days.” Why can’t he just drop it?

He said, “I just-”

I cut him off again, “You thought exactly what you haven’t stopped thinking since you met Dexter. So you can stop being a freaking idiot!”

He said, “I’m not being an idiot!”

I said, “Really? He can sue you Kyler. You assaulted him with no liable cause! If he presses charges you can go to jail and I will go into child services. How is that not being an idiot?”

Dexter asked, “Who the hell is Chase and why does Kyler keep accusing me of being like him?”

I didn’t take my eyes off Kyler as I replied. “Chase is my ex-boyfriend. He was abusive and Kyler thinks you are going to be too.”

Dexter said, “I don’t hit girls. I understand why you think I would because I am a guy that suddenly took interest in your sister but I don’t roll that way. I’m actually insulted you think I would do that…especially to your sister.” Kyler didn’t reply. Lucky for us a doctor came in.

She said, “Grace Vincent.” I turned and walked up to her, pulling Dexter with me. She smiled, “She has been all patched up and you may see her now. She is in room 347.”

I smiled, “Thank you.” I was still pulling Dexter along with me. Kyler followed silently. Good, he deserves to suffer for a little bit. I went in a Nana smiled. I hugged her, “Hey Nana. How are you feeling?”

She grinned, “I love these pain meds.” I chuckled along with Dexter. Nana raised a brow, “I never caught your name.”

Dexter kissed the back of her hand, “I’m Dexter Keese, a friend of Kyra’s.”

Nana smiled, “A charmer I see. Watch out for this one Kyra.” I nodded. She asked, “What happened to your face? I don’t recall it being like that at the ranch.”

Dexter smiled, “Just a misunderstanding between me and Kyler.” Nana raised a brow and glanced at Kyler.

She asked, “How old are you?”

Dexter replied, “Seventeen.” She waved Kyler over. Kyler went over and she smacked him in the back of the head.

She scolded, “Are you trying to get arrested?”

Kyler complained, “No, okay I didn’t think I get it already!”

Dexter said, “You guys stop.” We all looked at him with raised brows. He explained, “I wouldn’t press charges. I understand why you did it Kyler so no hard feelings. Just stop bitching at him.” Well, we are all shocked.

Kyler asked, “What? Why?”

He shrugged, “I would have done the same if someone hurt my little sister. It’s called being a big brother. Whether you like it or not he isn’t going to stop trying to protect you, Kyra. You should be happy for that.”