Chapter Six

The next week dragged on slowly, Hayden still didn’t show up to school and Rebecca was a emotional mess, but continued to keep me updated on how he was. I contemplated a few times if I should tell her what I had shared with Hayden, but I just couldn’t make myself to do it; I didn’t want her to be mad at me for putting Hayden into this depressed state. I sat down in my third period class that I had with Rebecca, but he hadn’t walked with me to the class today after second period because she had to go do something. After the bell rang, signaling for the classes to start, Rebecca hadn’t showed up. I became worried and asked my teacher if I could go ‘use’ the bathroom, and luckily she fell for it.

                I strolled down the hallways, glancing around to see if Rebecca was anywhere to be seen; I really didn’t know why I was looking for her because for all I knew she could have went home, but something in my gut told me otherwise. I checked all the girl’s bathroom’s, except for the ones by the gym, so I headed towards them. As I got there, I heard soft sobbing coming from inside the girl’s bathroom; I entered and saw Rebecca there standing at the sink, her cheeks streaked with mascara.

                “Rebecca?” I gasped and ran to her side, touching her shoulder lightly, but she flinched and smacked me hard across the side of my face. The momentum was enough to knock me back against a wall, as I instantly covered my cheek that throbbed painfully, radiating heat, “What the hell, Rebecca!”

                “How could you Adam!” She screamed at me, her eyes dangerously looking over me, making a look of disgust, and pointing her index finger at me accusingly, “You know how I fell about the way Hayden is. But you go behind my back and do this?!” I knew she was referring to the kiss I had given Hayden, putting him deep into his depression. I clenched my teeth shut, sending painful currents down imy jaw. She sobbed more and covered her face, falling onto her butt.

                Even after she had smacked me, I kneeled beside her, gently stroking her hair; She pushed me away screaming at me to get away, I did as she asked heading out the bathroom and down the hall, back to my class. As I walked down the halls, my shoulder were tense and then I finally broke, I slammed my right fist into a nearby locker, sending shock currents down my arm, making it buckle under the pressure. I pulled my arm back, cradling it tenderly into my chest; I pressed my back against the locker that I had just hit, sliding down it onto my butt.

                I didn’t care that I never returned back to my classroom, I didn’t care that I probably just broke my arm, I didn’t care about anything right now. I just stayed there holding my arm close to my chest, as I pressed my forehead in between my knees, shaking violently. Not only till the bell ran did I get out of that state, when a hand was placed on my shoulder and I looked up to meet the gaze of Heath.

                His dark brown eyes bore into my sympathetically, as he reached out a hand to help me get up. “Are you okay, Adam?” He asked and I grabbed his hand with my good hand, flinching slightly as the shock waves were sent through my other arm from moving it too much. His eyes flashed down to my bloody hand; I hadn’t even felt my hand throbbing because of the anger that coursed through my body, but it was dying down at my arm began to throb. I

                I didn’t even bother answering him because he ushered me to the nurse’s office where the nurse patched me up, putting my arm in a sling that I would have to where a couple days. Luckily for me my arm hadn’t fractured, it just was swollen from the contact. Heath directed me out of the nurse’s office and we walked to my English class, so I could pick up my things that I had left, the teacher looking at me disappointedly, but I just shrugged it off and headed to lunch with Heath.