Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I woke up the next day with a stiff neck. Looking around- still half asleep- I realised that I fell asleep on the couch, and Jessie and Maria were both asleep on the floor surrounded by pillows and blankets.

They looked so cute with their mouths slightly open and the way they were hugging each other was too adorable. Obviously I had to take a picture, the moment was one to be captured. Even though I knew they would kill me for this.

‘Oh well this was so worth it’ I thought.

I got up properly and groaned quietly at the pain in my neck. I must have slept at an awkward angle. I picked up some of the mess on my way to the kitchen to make some coffee. I checked the time on the wall and saw it was already midday. Oh well, not like I was supposed to do anything today.

You’ve got to love Saturdays.

Massaging my neck after finishing my coffee, I decided to make some late breakfast for the girls. Opening the fridge, I saw it was completely empty apart from a bottle of mineral water. Great, I forgot to do food shopping or maybe it was because I had no money to even buy food.

Heaving a sigh, I started to make my way towards the living room to wake them up. I heard some voices and I walked in to see that Jess and Maria were both up, looking like they just woke from the dead.

“What time is it?” Jessie groaned her eyes only half open.

“Just a little past midday,” I answered whilst holding back a smile at the mess of Maria’s hair. It was worse than mine and that was saying something.

“What? Oh shoot! I’m supposed to go drop my brother off! He’s got football practice!” Jessie shouted with a groan. She was suddenly much more alert of her surroundings as she jumped up, knocking Maria’s head in the process and running up the stairs, to get changed most probably.

“Aw crap, same here!” Maria moaned, following after Jessie sluggishly. I guess she was too out of it to feel the way Jessie accidently knocked her head to the side.

I shook my head at their laziness. At least I didn’t have to give them breakfast now, even though I really wish I could. Just like a normal person.

If only.

The things I would do to have my father back in my life would be endless. What I would do to have my mother back to herself. The extent I would go through to protect Tommy from ever feeling that he has no one. Never would I allow him to feel like this, not until I’m here living and breathing. I couldn’t let him endure what I feel everyday. This deep, lonely cut in my heart that cried for someone to stitch it back up.

My thoughts were put on halt as I saw Jessie run back down, buttoning her jeans at the same time, whilst picking up some of the mess in the room, then hopping into kitchen to throw it away. Then Maria ran down a few seconds later, pulling her top through her head, then tugging it down before grabbing a bag and putting the extra junk food into it. She continued to jog into the kitchen to store it somewhere I guessed.

I looked at the door of the kitchen and then saw it bang back open as they both came running out, Jessie grabbing the pillows and Maria grabbing the blankets, folding them up so fast I hardly saw it. The next thing I knew it was back in the storage room.

They then proceeded to grab the table I moved to the side last night, only to place it back into its original spot. Stuffing their belongings into their bags followed this and once that was done, they both dusted their hands in accomplishment. Then they both tied their hair into a pile on top of their heads.