Chapter Three

Chapter Three

 Seriously?

This so cannot be happening to me right now. Maybe if I closed my eyes and reopened them, it could possibly be a different person. It didn't hurt to try and I internally begged any lord to help me out. Though of course fate had no pity because that shockingly didn't do the trick. I should have been used to it by now though. Luck was never my best friend.

‘My life would be so much easier if it were,’ I thought to myself before discreetly admiring his beautiful green eyes. Yeah, that was definitely the guy from the party. There was no mistaking it. That cool, detached stance he held was too familiar as I remembered him leaning against the tree in the back garden of the house party.

Wait.

I was just overreacting. Maybe he’s just here for a cup of coffee. Maybe he didn't enjoy the party. Maybe he wanted the triple chocolate cake. I can just slyly sneak out without him seeing me and then quickly get my lift from Cathy’s son.

I really wanted to pat my back for being so smart.

“Mum?” he spoke for the first time he entered, addressing Cathy who stood in front of the pillar. 

My mouth dropped open.

I really wanted to slap my forehead for being so dumb.

What were the chances that he was Cathy's son? What a clichéd and crazy coincidence. Destiny really knew how to have a laugh. I felt the need to scream in frustration as I watched his relax posture behind this big pillar. I was pretty grateful that the two of them couldn’t see me; I had to get my emotions in check.

I was panicking. All that kept replaying in my mind was that stare off before we got interrupted. Oh and not to forget that highly immature, tongue-sticking-out-face I made at him. Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing. Well, good thing I didn't care about people's opinions anyway. If he wanted to judge then who was he to me?

No one.

“Oh good you're here,” Cathy's soft voice reached my ears and I could just imagine her smiling with that little twinkle in her eyes. She knew the role of a Mother and I wondered if he knew how lucky he was to have a mother like her.

“I want you to meet Rose,” she continued before pointing towards where I was standing before I hid behind the pillar. I could just feel her frown in confusion so before she could say anything more, I came out from behind the pillar.

The first thing I saw was the recognition flash through his eyes. That was before the smirk started making its way onto his perfectly sculptured lips. I really had hoped he wouldn't remember me. This night needed to end quickly, I thought with an internal groan. 

“And Rose this is my son Drake,” she finished off cheerily.

Oh lord.

He was Drake?

Why have I never seen him before?

He was just staring at me and I realised Cathy was waiting for us to greet each other so I just raised my hand and gave a little wave. He smirked at that and raised his hand in the same way I did and mockingly gave a wave back.

Why the hell did I just wave? I must have looked like a complete clown. There was something wrong with my bodily functions because my mind had suddenly stopped working. All common sense was lost in a blurry haze. I blamed his good looks. But seriously, have I been that oblivious to not notice him in school?