Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Dimitri's POV

Giovanni had "surprisingly" received the garter, but really, I had thrown it right into his hands. I turned to look for Melanie, but she was no where in sight. I immediately started to worry, not really knowing why, if I barely knew the her. I knew this was going to be a bumpy marriage, but I was willing to try and make it work. The smile she had given me had been her real smile. Not the fake one she always wore. Her fiery remarks proved she was hard to get. She wasn't afraid of anyone. A hand squeezed my shoulder. It was Leonardo.

"Don't worry Dimitri, she's probably at her mother's grave. You should go find her, so people don't start to wonder." 

"I agree. Keep the people dancing." 

"I will," he said walking into the crowd of guests. 

It took me forever to pass the crowds of women. Many of them stopped to congratulate me even though they hardly meant it. Others actually had actually started flirting with me. After escaping I followed the gravel road to Lucia's grave. When I arrived Melanie was sitting in her "chair" with her head to the side leaning against it with her eyes closed. It was a perfect moment. I had the urge to paint it and name it "Lost Angel". I leaned against a nearby tree with my hands in my pockets. I watched her. Her steady breaths, the wind in her hair. After a moment she opened her eyes. Alert when she found me staring at her.  

"How long have you been here?" Melanie stood up and walked past me, but I grabbed one of her hands and pulled her back. She tried to pulling away, but I brought her close. After trying to escape she gave up and just stood there." I have to tell you something," I started.  

"What?" she asked. I cleared my throat. 

"The papers we signed during the ceremony weren't normal marriage papers." 

"Tt-then what were they?"  

"They were rules for our marriage." 

"Rules? What do you mean?" she asked eager to find the answer.  

"Well for starters after today you won't be able to see any of your loved ones again." 

"What?!" she pushed herself away from me. "You can't be serious!?" 

"These aren't my rules Melanie," I tried to keep my voice calm.  

"Then whose are they? Your fathers?" 

"Yes." 

"Then you knew about them!" she argued she said in disbelief. I watched her just stand there and take it all in. She looked off into the distance with her hand covering her mouth and the other arm under her elbow. Tears were starting to form in her beautiful eyes. She closed her eyes and when she opened them a second later. A tear escaped. I stepped forward, but she held up a hand signaling me not to go any father. 

"Melanie-"

"Don't. Just don't."

"Dimitri!" I turned around and saw Isabella walking down the gravel road. Isabella was my father's secretary. Melanie turned around not wanting Isabella to see her crying. 

"Dimitri, I've been looking everywhere for you."

"What for?" She was standing in front of me, but I wasn't looking at her. I was focused on Melanie. She turned around. Her face not showing any signs of sadness. I immediately remembered Isabella was still here.

"Isabella, I'd like you to meet my wife, Melanie."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Isabella. If you'll excuse me I'm going to see the other guests."