Chapter 29

"Melanie Giomatti."

My heart stopped. It was her standing be before me. She looked smugly in my direction. Her left eyebrow arched and her lips pursed as she stared into my soul. As if she knew she was inflicting pain on me.  

My father swore under his breath while Isabella was about to stand up. I grabbed her hand saying ,"Sit back down and do not cause a scene," under my breath.  

I could tell she was biting her tongue as she sat back down. People all around us were murmuring. I could feel their states burning at my back. I looked back at Melanie who had Jake wrapping his arms around her as Alexa handed him the microphone.  

"Good evening ladies, gentlemen, and guests of honor."  He looked in our direction and winked.

Anger was bubbling inside. My teeth were clenched and my hand was firmly grasping the champagne flute as he continued.  "My sister and I are glad to announce our company's merging with Giomatti corporations and my wedding with Melanie Giomatti as well as the announcement of us expecting a baby."   His hands rubbed Melanie's belly and gave her a kiss on the cheek.  The crowd was at first shocked,but then began clapping.

I didn't know what to do. This was who she had left me for? Jake Williams? She had been cheating on me for three months with that bastard! It must have been while I was gone.  

"This is preposterous!" My father exclaimed hitting his fist down on the table causing me to jump from my thoughts. "She signed the contract with us! She cannot do this!" He stood up furiously going after Melanie as she disappeared into the crowd of eager people that were desperate to talk to her.   I followed him not sure of what he would do to her.  

"Father!" I yelled after him.   I saw him the distance whispering something in Melanie's ear. She gave him a curt nod excusing herself from the guests and leading him into the house. I flowed quickly catching up. She led us into the mansion through the back door. Through different hallways we ended up in a study that must have been Jake's. She opened the doors allowing us to enter first then following. My father took a seat while I stood standing. Just as she was about to close the door Jake barged in giving her a peck on the lips.  

"Sorry I'm late, I had to speak to a few of the guests."  Disgusted I turned around.

  "It's fine, we just arrived." Hearing her voice nearly sent shivers down my spine. How I missed hearing her voice.   She sat down in the giant arm chair across from us with Jake behind her. As soon as she sat down my father began his rant. 

"You signed the contract! You are in debt with us! Your father owed me a large some of money!" 

"I never said I wasn't going to pay you your money. You will get your money," she said calmly but coldly with her eyes narrowed.  

"You are also married with my son, you can't marry this-" 

"I can and will," she quickly interjected before he could say another insult, "your son and I are separated. I have already filed for a divorce. You will be hearing from my lawyer very soon, and don't worry Rafael I won't be asking for anything." 

My father was left speechless. He hadn't anticipated this.   "Alright, my business here is settled."  My father left without another word or farewell.  We were left in an awkward silence that Melanie broke talkin to Jake as if I wasn't there.  

"Jake, could you please find Elizabeth and bring her here?" 

"Of course, love. I'll be back soon," he said placing a kiss on her cheek giving me a glare before leaving.   We were left in another silence.

Still thinking about Jake, I burst out the question I had been thinking about for months.

  "Why?"

  "Is that really what you're going to ask after two months?" She asked looking at me for the first time. Her eyes with filled with hurt and disgust.  

"You're the one that left me! Was that what you were waiting for? Your chance to escape and leave me for that bastard?!" 

"Jake is not a bastard!" She said slamming her fists on the desk.  

"You know,I was right about you. You just seduce every guy you meet for their money." Her hand came in contact with my cheek.  

"Don't you dare insult me! You have no right!"

  "I do have a r-"   Jake came in the door without knocking. We both must have looked like a mess. Melanie's face was flushed, and I was literally shaking.

  "Mel are you right?" He asked rushing to her side with Elizabeth following. 

Melanie sat down rubbing her temples with her eyes closed.  "I'm fine, I just need to calm down."  

"Elizabeth's here. We'll both leave you to talk," he said eyeing me. I took that as my note to leave, but I wasn't planning on leaving without having a few words with Melanie's fiancé.

Melanie's POV

With Dimitri gone I felt I could breathe. Seeing him had clearly affected me and the baby. It hadn't stopped kicking while he was here as if it knew Dimitri was its father.  

"Melanie," Elizabeth said warmly.   I stood up hugging her.

  "Elizabeth how are you?"   "I'm fine, but the question is how are you?"

  "I'm fine." 

"That's not what it sounded like from outside the doors."

  "It's difficult having a conversation with Dimitri sometimes."

  "It's his isn't it?"

  I looked down at my huge belly? I couldn't lie to Elizabeth.   "It is, but you can't say a word to him."

  "Melanie, he should know. He's the father." 

"I don't need him. I have Jake."

  "But you don't love him like you love Dimitri."  Damn she was good.

  "I know I will never love Jake like I loved Dimitri, but Jake's willing to take responsiblity and be a father to this child. After having to deal with Dimitri cheating on me with Isabella and knocking her up, and all my family problems, I just can't deal with this anymore."

  "I understand. I'm guessing you need my help with pregnancy as the baby will probably turn on 1/4 vampire."

  "Does that explain why it's growing so fast?"

  She looked perplexed, "You are growing fast, almost as fast as Isabella's and her's is half vampire. I think you should come by the clinic tomorrow, so I can give you a check up." 

"That sounds great, thank you so much." I hugged her again.  

"No problem, you'll always be family to me Melanie." She smiled.

  I smiled in return leading the way out of the study. We went out to foyer finding Dimitri and Jake arguing over me. They insulted each other which turned into fight. Punches were being thrown, and I couldn't bear it any longer.  

"Dimitri, Jake stop!" I yelled.

They paid no attention to me. I was afraid of what Dimitri's could do having his vampire strength that Jake was no match for. As Dimitri grabbed Jake by the collar of his dress shirt and raised his fist in a matter of seconds I got in between them shielding Jake as Dimiti's fist came in contact with my eye. The last thing I remember is screams and shouts before blacking out.