Chapter 27

1 month later

Dimitri's POV

It's been a month since Melanie left. There were no signs of her whereabouts. Her family didn't know, and her friends didn't know. Annabelle's wedding was in 3 months and at the moment was not on speaking terms with me. She blamed me for Melanie leaving. I had hired a private investigator to look for her, but had found nothing at the moment.  

My father stood in front of me pacing back and forth smoking his cigar in one hand while the other was behind his back in a fist. He finally stopped the pacing and stood in front of his giant window gazing out at the setting sun.  

"We need a plan,". He finally stated. 

"For what?"  

"You bloody well know for what," he growled turning to face me with his fierce eyes. "We need to find Giomatti's daughter fast, time is slipping through our fingers, and each minute is money lost." 

"Father why do we need the money. Why are you so desperate in gaining Melanie's inheritance?"

"I want to end tithe Giomattis even if it's the last thing I do, and I know exactly what to do to get Melanie's attention."

I looked at my father wondering how this man before me could be my father. Sometimes he frightened me like when I was little, and he would use that same tone when he was on a business call. I then figured out that tone foreshadowed death.

Melanie's POV

I woke up to the smell of coffee and croissants. My stomach growled, but then I got this strange feeling causing me to rush to the bathroom and empty my stomach's contents. I washed my mouth trying to get rid of the bad taste. I walked back to bed flopping down on my bed.

"réveiller la tête endormie" came a voice through my door. "Wake up sleepy head," she translated walking through the door with breakfast on a tray. I sat up scrunching my nose at the sight of it.  

"What's wrong?" asked my French room mate, Marie, as she pouted her natural red lips and cocked her wavy blonde long hair to one side giving me a puzzling look.  

"I'm not feeling well, I think I must have food poisoning or something."  

She frowned. 

"Alexa's not going to be happy," she said with her French accent.  

"She'll understand, besides I'm not a face they'll recognize. " 

After coming to Paris, I had met Jake's beautiful sister who owned a clothing line here in France. She had welcomed me with arms wide open at the airport. I had told her my story as she drove to her penthouse. She gladly told me I could work for her. Luckily her spring show included wearing masks for the runway shows and some photo shoots. I had had 5 weeks of training and tomorrow was my first runway show.  

Marie's eyebrows knit together in worry then loosened as if she had realized something.  

'What?" I asked.  

"I know what medicine you need, I'll be back." She ran out of my room, and I could hear her heels clicking against the hardwood floors of our 2 bedroom apartments that was big enough to also hold a small bathroom, living room, and decent kitchen. At the sound of the door closing, I plumped against my pillow allowing sleep to overtake me. I shot straight up at the sound of the door slamming again. Was she already back? She barged into my room with a white bag in her hand.  

"What did you bring me?"  

"Remember how you to me about the Dimitri husband of yours?" She asked. I nodded not wanting to remember.