Chapter 26

Jake's POV 

"Melanie?" I asked not sure if that's who I was seeing.  

"Oh Jake," she said tearing up. She looked as if she was going shatter on the gravel and just break. I reached her just in time as she fell into my arms sobbing.  

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I asked scanning her to make sure she wasn't harmed.  

Melanie's POV 

"I'm hurting inside Jake. I've never felt so much pain since my mom died." I sobbed into his shoulder not even sure if he could understand what I was saying through all the sobbing.  

He hugged me firmly making me feel protected and safe.  

"Come let's go somewhere where we can talk."  

I simply nodded letting him lead the way to his truck.

* * * 

I lay in a bed staring at the wall. After we had arrived at Jake's huge estate I had calmed down enough to tell him my story. He had listened intently never taking his eyes off of me or giving my hand a squeeze. He had let me use one of the guest rooms. Which all I really saw was a bed. My eyes didn't look at all the details, I was mentally exhausted and just wanted to sleep it all off, but no matter how tired I was, I wasn't able to sleep. The sun was now rising and Dimitri would be waking up who knows where. 

Dimitri's POV 

I woke up with the sun flashing through the glass windows. I covered my eyes rolling over draping my arm over Melanie. Melanie? Was this a dream? I squinted before fully opening my eyes. My head was about to burst. The person next to me wasn't Melanie, it was Isabella. What was she doing here? And why was she naked? I looked at myself and I was also naked. Could we have-? No we couldn't have. I didn't remember any of this.  

Isabella rolled over facing me. She opened her eyes smiling when she saw I was awake.  

"Morning sleepy head," she said playing with my hand. 

I took my hand back glaring at her.  

"Isabella, what did we do last night?"  

"You don't remember?" She pouted.  

"No," I stated holding my head.  

"I came to talk to you about the surprise I left you, but when you opened the door you hugged me then one thing led to another and here we are."  

I groaned.  

"Is it true?" 

"Is what true?"  

"You're expecting a baby of mine" 

"Of course it's true! How could you doubt that?"  

" Isabella, you could have been with many more guys?"  

"Dimiri! I'm insulted!" She said faking hurt. 

"Well, it's true! How do you expect me to believe you? When the time comes we're getting a DNA test."  

"We can't," she quickly replied.  

"Why not?"  

"This is a vampire baby, how can we go to the doctor? I don't know how my pregnancy is going to be."  

She had a point.  

"We'll go to Elizabeth's clinic."  

She bit her lip, "Fine."  

"Now if you don't mind, I need to be alone." 

"But, what about us?"  

"There is no-" I paused to think about it. I was going to have to take care of her and be responsible. She could possibly help me forget about Melanie. Just thinking of her caused my stomach to lurch. Where could she be?