Chapter 11

The cold morning starkly contrasted the warm interior of her mother's house as Bobbi stepped through the front door. Resisting the heat radiating from inside, Bobbi kept her eyes straight, swinging her bag over her shoulder as she followed Alfie's form across the yard.

Bobbi stowed her suitcase in the back of the mini-van that had transported them to that driveway only a few days before. Then, sharing a quick glance with Alfie, they both exhaled their sighs as they walked the few paces back to where their mother stood. Marlene King waited near her own car, her dark silver hair pulled back in a loose bun with a few stray hair following down near her glasses. She set her own bag on the trunk of her car and pulled close her wool jacket, smiling wide, as her two children approached.

"Now are you sure you two actually have to leave this time? I mean, I'm fine having two completely dead-beat children who work at McDonalds if it means I get to see the two of you more."

Bobbi couldn't fight the laughter as it rose in her throat and her cheeks rose up to meet the first signs of tears as they threatened an appearance in the corner of her eyes.
Alfie shook his head as he moved in hug his mom.

"Trust me, Ma. We both wish we could stay."

Marlene's smile stayed wide as she shifted her gaze over to Bobbi, wrapping both arms tight around her daughter's shoulders as she pulled them close.

"Honestly, what kid of children are you? You come here to see me for a few days and then you're gone. It's just not fair. You know better than to have actual lives and careers apart from me. Why doesn't your universe completely revolve around me? That's what I want to know."

Bobbi gave her small frame one last squeeze before stepping back. Marlene kept a hold of her hand so she didn't go too far and grabbed a hold of one of Alfie's, her sights switching between the two of them as her dark eyes glowed bright with affection.
Alfie's laugh sounded through the early morning atmosphere and mixed the bright sounds coming from where Theo and his family stood several yards away.

"You know what?" Bobbi said. "You're right, mom. We should really just quit our job and spend all our energy making you happy."

"Well, it is the least you can do, Roberta, dear." Marlene said. "I did give you both life. Let's not forget that."

"I doubt you'll let us." Alfie said.

Their smiles did a good job keeping the mood light as Alfie and Bobbi stared at the image of their mother before them and soaked up every second they had left with her, the extra long weekend proving not long enough.

"Well, it looks like the Harris clan is wrapping up their goodbyes." Marlene said, glancing past Bobbi's shoulder to the neighboring driveway. "We can't let them beat us. Remember, you two." Alfie and Bobbi turned their head back from following Marlene's gaze. "Life's not a competition-"

"But always make sure you're the winner just in case." Alfie answered, cutting her off.

Marlene pursed her lips, trying to seem offended but her eyes only shone brighter.

"No one like a smart-ass, Alfred."

Alfie shook his head and laughed, leaning in for one last hug.

"You're right. I'm sorry, mom."

"Obviously. And you're forgiven."

Bobbi took the step forward again to receive her own last hug.

"Make sure you see me one last time before you leave again. I won't forgive you otherwise." Marlene said, gathering up her briefcase, "Keep in mind, there's always room at my house if this whole band thing doesn't pan out." She sent them back a wink as she opened her door.