Chapter 16

Professor Snape was early for breakfast. He was hoping to finish his meal by the time his colleagues, especially the Headmaster, were going to gather in the Great Hall, and he seemed to be in luck. Only a couple of students were at their House tables; no staff or faculty in sight.

He let out a sigh of relief and entered the hall.

"Severus," Dumbledore's calm but nevertheless accusing voice reached his ear. He stopped dead in his tracks. "May I have a word?"

"Certainly." He made his response sound as casual as possible, pretending he didn't have a clue as to why he wanted to talk to him. Of course, he knew all too well what this was about. Preparing himself mentally for this overly unpleasant conversation, he turned around and followed the Headmaster out into the corridor.

"Well," Dumbledore began when they had found a quiet spot. "Pomona informed me of your rather surprising visit last night."

The Potions Master frowned. What an old tattletale that woman was. "Headmaster, I..."

Dumbledore lifted his hand in a dismissive motion. "I saw Ms. Jones leaving your quarters in the early morning hours. I'm sure you have a very reasonable explanation for something so..." He paused, trying to find the right word. "...unusual. Now, if you don't mind, I would like to hear it."

Severus swallowed hard. He was in big trouble. There was absolutely no way he could maneuver himself out of this mess; he just had to swallow the pill and confess.

Slowly, his eyelids slid over the telltale glimmer of those deep black irises. "I don't."

Dumbledore cocked his eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

Professor Snape opened his eyes again, looking straight at the Headmaster. "I don't have a reasonable explanation, Headmaster. It was exactly what it looked like."

"You mean to tell me..." Dumbledore stopped himself mid-sentence, since he apparently realized his words had come out louder than intended. "You mean to tell me..."

"Yes," Severus said quickly, not wanting the Headmaster to spell it out.

An uncomfortable silence filled the corner of the hallway. Both men stared at each other, not knowing what to say.

Then, after the moment of shock had worn off, Dumbledore clapped his hands, making Professor Snape flinch. "I knew it," he laughed. "I knew you liked her. I just didn't expect things to progress so rapidly."

Now it was the Potions Master's turn to be confused. "What?"

"Oh Severus," he chuckled, placing his hand on Professor Snape's shoulder. "My dear old friend. In that regard, you are an open book to me. I don't even have to use Legilimency on you. Well, not that I could anyway. However, I think it would be best for you two not to sneak around in the future. It would only make it seem forbidden."

"It is forbidden." Severus grimaced, not understanding what Albus was talking about.

"No, it isn't," he insisted. "You are both adults, and technically you are not her teacher. There is nothing to worry about, Severus. Except," he rolled his eyes. "I know owe Minerva a bottle of Ogden's Old Firewhisky. She was convinced you two wouldn't last until Christmas before you..."

"Minerva?" Professor Snape frowned.

"Sure," Dumbledore stated matter-of-factly. "I, for one, thought it would be closer to the end of the school year."

The Potions Master didn't hear the last part of the sentence, since at that moment, Samara appeared in the hallway. When she spotted him, her steps slowed down until she eventually came to a halt, her eyes locking with his.

In order to examine the source of Severus' sudden distraction, the Headmaster turned his head into the direction he was staring at.

"Ah, Ms. Jones," he smiled encouragingly. "We were just talking about you."

Instantly, her face flushed bright red. Professor Snape couldn't help but note how remarkably beautiful she looked with those rosy cheeks, and it reminded him of the hours they had spent together; the heated kisses and sensual caresses they had shared had made her face flush in the same sweet way.

"Not to worry," Dumbledore cheerfully winked at the girl. "Everything is alright. In fact, we just wondered if you might want to join us for breakfast."

Severus' eyes narrowed, regarding him suspiciously. "We did?"

"Oh yes," the Headmaster grinned. "We would be delighted to have your company, Ms. Jones."

Helplessly, Samara searched Professor Snape's facial expression for any sign of reassurance, but it was as stoic as ever. Only the slight twitch at the corner of his mouth revealed that he would definitely not oppose, and so she hesitantly agreed to have breakfast at the teachers' table.