Chapter 15

As the hours ticked by, Professor Snape found himself still awake, unable to find any rest. As every night, images of Lily's beautiful face kept haunting his mind. He remembered the enchanting sound of her laughter, how her eyes sparkled with joy, and how it all was taken from him. But this night, something odd happened.

As he lay still in his chambers, his breath the only audible source of life, other images began to mingle with his memories of Lily. Suddenly, it became harder to invoke her features, they were strangely distorted, and did not at all resemble his beloved. As much as he tried to focus and hold her picture in his mind, he was powerless to the unfamiliar force that blurred his vision of her. At once, his heart seemed to want to leap out of his chest as another face appeared in her place.

"No!"

He jumped out of bed and decided that right now would be the perfect time to have a little chat.

********

"Severus!" Professor Sprout blinked at him in disbelief. "Do you know what time it is?" As to emphasize the late hour, she brushed over her oversized, old-fashioned nightgown.

"No, Pomona, and quite frankly, I do not care. Go get her."

Since his voice was so stern, poor Professor Sprout didn't dare to object. "Wait here, I'll be right back."

And off she went. With her lit wand and that white gown, one could have easily mistaken her for a ghost wandering the hallways.

As the minutes passed, the Potions Master grew more and more impatient. Irritably tapping his foot on the stone floor, he waited for her return.

"Here," Professor Sprout eventually called from down the corridor, approaching quickly. "Now can I go back to sleep, or will you wake me again?"

"I won't," he grumbled, grabbing the baffled student's wrist and pulling her behind him.

********

"Now," he bellowed as he slammed the door to his chambers shut. "Do you have any idea what you did tonight? How absolutely brainless your behavior was?"

Samara obviously had trouble comprehending what was happening. Confusion in her eyes, she stared at the professor, not daring to blink as this, too, might upset him.

"You are allowed to speak," he growled. "Answer me!"

"I...," she stuttered. "I wasn't thinking."

Professor Snape snorted. "That much is obvious."

The girl lowered her gaze, intimidated by his rage. "I was so scared for you, Professor. Please forgive me."

With a fierce motion, he reached out for her arm, and with a forceful tug he pulled her flush against his body.

"Silly girl," he mumbled. "You really don't know what you did."

Right then, his lips found hers.

Peace. For the first time in what had seemed like forever, he actually felt at peace. The warmth of her soft mouth spread through his entire body, igniting senses that he had thought lost. Deepening the kiss, his arms folded around her petite frame, holding her as close as he could.

Samara moaned against his lips, her fingers beginning to caress the nape of his neck.

"Now," he whispered, breaking the kiss, "now would be the time to stop me."

"I don't want you to stop," she breathed into his ear, her voice full of passion.

He groaned. "Samara, be advised that if you don't stop me, you will be mine when you leave this room again."

Since she did not object but rather began placing tender kisses along his jawline, he grabbed his wand and cast a spell so that no sound would be able to penetrate the walls of his chambers.