Chapter 14

Sitting on a bed in the infirmary, Professor Snape flashed his eyes angrily at Samara. "What were you thinking? You could be dead! Fifty points from Hufflepuff for endangering your life in the most foolish way. No, actually, make that a hundred."

"Professor," Madam Pomfrey, who was healing his ankle, looked up. "Isn't that a little harsh? She just wanted to..."

"I don't care what she wanted," he spat. "This could have ended badly. It was sheer luck that we don't have to scrape her remains off the forest floor."

Samara hung her head. "I'm sorry, Professor," she mumbled apologetically before heading to the door.

"Detention. Tomorrow. My office," he yelled after her.

"Why are you so hard on her?" Madam Pomfrey inquired while working on the Potions Master's injury. "She saved your life."

Yes, she did. And that was exactly the point. He didn't want anyone to risk their life for him. He was responsible for the death of the woman he had adored for all those years. He would not let someone else die for his sake.

"Are you done?" he inquired impatiently, glaring down at the matron.

"Yes," she snapped back, irritated with his grouchiness. "You can leave. But let me tell you something, Severus." Leaning closer, her eyes sparkled angrily. "This is no way to treat someone who cares for you. With your bad temper and moody behavior, it's actually little short of a miracle that there is someone who is so devoted to you that she would give her life to save yours. She didn't even think twice when she heard about the danger you were in, and believe me, we all tried to stop her."

"You didn't try hard enough," he remarked,snorting.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake, will you stop it already!" Madam Pomfrey was about to grab his shoulders and shake some sense into him. "Stop pretending, Severus! We all, and by we I mean the entire school staff, know what's going on. You can't handle the fact that she is in love with you. You can't handle emotions. And don't look at me like that, all surprised. Word gets around fast at Hogwarts."

"This is clearly none of your business, Poppy. But if it makes you happy, you can inform her that she is spared detention. Now, if you will excuse me."

Professor Snape heaved himself off the bed, eager to leave her company.

"Oh no, you will do that yourself." Her index finger pointed at his chest, reprimanding his attitude. "And I think a thank you would be in order, too."