Chapter 7

He was only a few feet away from the door when he could hear the soft clinking of glass, accompanied by quiet whispers. The door was open, and with his wand at the ready, he stepped inside.

Three figures in dark robes were rummaging through the potion supplies, oblivious to the fact that they were being watched.

"What are you looking for? Maybe I can be of help?"

The professor's deep, intimidatingly calm voice made the intruders drop a small vial. The sound of glass shattering on the floor echoed through the silence.

In a moment of shock, the black-clad figures stared down at the shards, then cautiously lifted their heads to face the Potions Master.

"P-P-P-Professor Snape," one of them stuttered helplessly.

"Ah," Severus cocked an eyebrow. "Mr. Parker. Again."

"We were just... We were...studying."

"I see." The professor took a closer look at the broken flask. "Lacewing flies."

He held out his hand and the boys immediately knew what he was asking for, since one after another placed little glass containers in Professor Snape's hand.

"Shredded bicorn horn. Knotgrass." He gave each one of the students a stern look. "Boomslang skin. Why on earth do you sneak into this room – MY room – in the middle of the night to steal the ingredients for Polyjuice potion?"

"We wanted ... wanted to practice," Gilbert stammered, his face as red as a tomato.

"Don't lie to me. What's that behind your back, Mr. Parker?"

Chase turned pale, stumbling backwards in an attempt to get out of Professor Snape's reach, but he wasn't quick enough.

"What do we have here," he muttered angrily as he snapped the parchment out of the student's hand and began to study it.

"It's really nothing, Professor..."

"You call that nothing?" Now Severus was on the brink of exploding. "Detention for a month. And if I ever catch you again, any of you, you'll be on the train home before you can even ask why."

"B-But..."

"Out!" he yelled impatiently, pushing the boys out the door and slamming it shut behind them.