Chapter thirty-six

[Austin]

My heart shot out my chest when the words erupted. My breathing became hesitant and I saw Alan's horrified look when he turned around. I didn't dare turn around. I couldn't.

"Dad?!" Alan shouted and I gasped. Slowly, I turned around and everything went silent. An angry man stood in front Alan and I. Alan looked as if he was about to burst into tears. The guests' jaws were dropped, as if watching a drama show. Me? I could see everything, but I couldn't hear a thing.

I could see the man yelling, I couldn't hear him. I didn't know why he stopped it, but it was hitting me that he stopped it. My heart shattered when I saw Alan burst into tears and throw punches at his dad, but I couldn't hear it. I could see Alan falling into my arms, but I couldn't hear it. I could see his dad pulling Alan away from me, screaming at my face. But I just couldn't hear him.

I was in that much shock. In the midst of the background I could see Phil, Aaron and Tino telling the guests to go inside, except my dad. My dad came to us, shocked. In front of me, an incoherent display was emerging. Feedback played in my ears as a hand was raised to my lover's face. As it lowered, mine reflexed and held it before it could ruin my petal's appearance.

Valiantly, I lowered it down, Alan grabbed the back of my blazer. I breathed and the man looked confused. His face had 'Who would dare stop me?' written all over it. He began to yell again and this time I heard everything. I heard Alan whimpering beside me. I held him close.

"I will not let my son marry a man. That's disgusting. How dare you even have the thought?!" he exclaimed. "You don't run my life! I'm 25 years old! You'd think I'd have some freedom, no? I can do what I want. And what I want is to marry the person I love. That's exactly what I'm going to do." Alan shouted and we were all shocked by his ability to speak against the man who used to torture him.

"Nonsense! You will never," he started before turning to me and grabbing me by the collar of my shirt. "And you! Who do you think you are?! You're a pathetic excuse of a man!" he yelled and shook my vigourously. He balled his fist up and aimed it to my face. I grabbed his fist.

"Excuse me?!" my dad abruptly shouted. "What do you think you are doing?! Do not dare threaten my son!" he continued. Alan's dad just laughed quietly and I shook my head. "Dad, leave it. Go inside, please." I sighed and frustratedly, he obeyed.

"Do not even try it," I grumbled under my breath after my dad left. Alan looked terrified and his dad was in no condition. "You ruined a kid's life to a point where he had to leave and you think you can come back after god knows how many years and ruin it even more? Get real. I'm not letting you ruin our relationship. We've gone through enough. I'm sorry, Mr Ashby. But I'm afraid you aren't getting your way anymore."

I felt like I was in a movie. Like I was the hero and I'd just finished my big speech. Alan had is jaw dropped as well as Tino, Phil and Aaron who had just walked it. Alan's dad looked defeated. He grunted. "Never, ever, will I consider you as my son, Alan." he grunted. Alan actually laughed. "I haven't considered you as my dad for a long time." he chuckled. I shook my head.

"But, where's mum?" he asked limply. "She's on her way here. We got divorced but I had to tell her that our insolent 'son' was getting married." he grumbled before walking out. The minister was behind us the entire time. "Uh-uhm, do you still want to proceed?" he asked innocently. I nodded with a smile. "Yeah, can we just have 10 minutes please?" I asked and he nodded.

"Phil, can you tell all the guests to leave? I just want you guys here now. And tell my dad to stay actually." I began. "Alan, you haven't seen your mum in ages. And she was the only one who accepted us. She can stay when she comes?" I asked him and he nodded. Tino and Phil had gone to shoo the guests away and shortly came back with my dad while Aaron comforted Alan.