Chapter 1

Jade

"Kill 'em and let's go!" Jesy's loud voice bellows over the zinging of bullets raining around us. "Up on the ridge there's another one!"

I return fire trying to shoot my way to safety. Screams and gunfire are all I register through the chaos. The dust flies with each bullet hitting the dirt.

"Muff!" Jesy calls out as my vision starts to fade.

The metallic taste of blood floods my mouth.

"Motherfucker! Move!" she yells, trying to get me out of harm's way. Opening my eyes, I see Jesy's face contort as she continues to shoot.

Using my arms, I try to crawl closer. It fucking hurts. The pain is everywhere as a bullet rips through my abdomen, stopping me from moving. I lie here out in the open ready for my fate.

I look over at Jesy as she returns fire and rushes towards me.

"Jesy," I croak out, my vision hazy as she approaches me.

I close my eyes and succumb to the black. I don't want to wake up. The pain is too much. Besides, Perrie is here in the dark. Hearing her voice makes me want to try, but I'm losing my will.

"Jade, you have to fight!" Her voice is thick with emotion.

"I'm too tired, baby. I want to stay with you. It doesn't hurt so much here. You make me feel better," I tell her, content to see her face and hear her voice. I know she's not real—but I want to stay here.

Her eyes close as a tear falls down her beautiful face. "You'll hurt me more if you stay. You have to go back. Please. For me," she begs.

I'll do anything not to hurt her again. I'd give her everything just to stop the look of suffering on her face. I open my eyes and the piercing torture jolts me back to life while the bullets slice through the air around me.

Jesy hoists me over her shoulder as I hold back a scream from the impact against my injured shoulder. The pain radiates from my head to my toes, reminding me I'm still alive. If I can still feel, I can fight.

"We have to go. Now!" The tone of command conveys the urgency of the situation.

I'm thrown in the back of the Humvee and the jolt causes me to cry out. "Holy shit! It fucking hurts!" I can't hold back. My vision fades again and I'm not sure if it's from the pain or if I'm coming to the end.

"Muff, can you hear me?" The doors slam closed as we take cover in the Humvee and start to move.

Jesy hovers over me. We continue to take fire but the protection of the vehicle allows us to get the hell out of here. Each bump in the road is pure agony. They drive frantically trying to get back to the base as one soldier radios in my injuries.

"She's been shot three times. Get the HELO on standby!" Jesy yells out to her as we take a sharp turn, causing me to shift.

"My fucking leg," I cry out.

"Put your hand over your shoulder." She presses my hand over the bullet wound, trying to force me to put pressure on it. "I have to deal with your leg, so you have to hold it."

I try to hold on but I can't feel my arms, every limb is heavy. My hand starts to slip. "I can't—" I start to say.

"You don't have a choice, you bitch!" Jesy yells in my face. "Shut the fuck up and hold on to your shoulder!"

Jesy grabs a needle from the medic bag and injects something in my arm. Everything becomes foggy and numb. I'm so tired. The smell of sweat, blood, and fear filters through the Humvee.