Chapter 23

"Make sure to pack all your things." Zuko said rummaging through the stuff in the ER tent. I leaned back down on the pillow and closed my eyes.

"Hm." I groaned under my breath. I could here Zuko pause in his movements.

"Tara, do you need more rest?" he asked, walking over to the small bed.

Tara. I twitched at the nickname my brother had called me for years...

"Tara! Please!" Sokka yelled as I chased him down the small igloo.

"No! you took my stuff!" I yelled as he held my water skin in hand. "Mom!" Kya ran into the room quickly and put a hand on her hip.

"Sokka. Give your sister her water skin back." She said sternly. I smirked and gave my brother a snobby look. He growled and through the sack at my feet. I picked it up with both hands and held it to my chest. My mother smiled and leaned down give Sokka a hug. "Sweety, why don't you go play with your boomerang. I'm sure dad would love to play with you." Sokka started smiling from ear to ear and was about to run off, but my mom held up a finger. "But apologize to your sister first." Kya nudged her head to my small form.

Sokka ducked his chin and slowly made is way back to me. "Sorry Tara."

My Mother stood back up and folded her hands in front of her. "what do you say?" she raised her eyebrows.

"Its okay Sokka." I smiled softly...

"Please don't call me that." I coughed up finally. Zuko frowned.

"Sorry." His eyes were moving up and down my body, checking for any bruises. He lifted the sheets to place them over my resting body. "I'm going to get someone to pack for you." he nodded and started to leave for the door. "We leave first thing tomorrow, Ill check on you again later."

"I can pack my own things." I said quickly while pushing the cover off. "I'm feeling better already, I'll be ready to go in the morning." I stood up and walked over to Zuko. He put an arm under my shoulder and pulled me along.

"Then I will escort you back to your tent." I rolled my eyes. "I am a firm believer in chivalry." He chuckled.

"I'm fine." I felt like I could already hear the men making fun of me. Saying I needed needed someone to 'protect' me.

"No." he said quickly and hoisted me on him. My eyebrows furrowed. "Come on"

We exited the tent where the crowd of men cheered with glasses of sparkling liquid.

"Look at that men!"

"The little girl has to have a man to hold her chin high!"

"Slut!"

Zuko growled and clutched my shoulder. "Stand down men! Fuck off!" He waved them off. Then they shrugged and grouped back together.

"I'm sorry" he said quickly. I smiled softly.

"Thank you. Zuko."